RCON Questions

aaron_c

Okay, I have been given the rcon password to a server, but how do I use it? do I type it in under password or rcon password to use it?

Also, how do i kick/ban cheaters? (this is mainly what I have rcon for, to watch for cheaters when server is afk)

thanks everybody

I have been an admin for a number of years now :P and the one golden rule I insist on for admins that work with me is that they use HLSW for any admin work.

Its free and the best remote rcon tool I have ever used (no I dont work for them :) )

When in game I have HLSW running in the task bar and play in windowed mode .. as long as your desktop resolution is the same as your game resolution its nigh on fullscreen anyways and a simple press of the windows key on the keyboard will allow you to access HLSW in seconds .. the beauty of playing like this is that while your doing your admin stuff with HLSW the game is still running in the background and a simple click on the game window takes you right back into the action,so no sneaky fooker can knife ya while your typing :P

There is a tutorial I have written that is available to our streaming game admins (I have sent it to you via forum pm)

Okay, I have been given the rcon password to a server, but how do I use it? do I type it in under password or rcon password to use it?

Also, how do i kick/ban cheaters? (this is mainly what I have rcon for, to watch for cheaters when server is afk)

thanks everybody

Also to add to Fozz's post ,,HLSW is SAFE !!! Someone gave you rcon and you dont know how to use it,,thats dangerous my friend..you use it on the server and miss type 1 thing you just gave EVERYONE rcon password...not good

HLSW is the best thing since sliced bread , its easy to use and again SAFE to use because no one sees you using it...give it a shot ,,, I've used mine for 3 yrs now,,I'd be lost w\out it :]

Thanks a ton guys, great advice. So all I have to do is download the program, and it is fairly self-explanatory and user-friendly/easy to figure out? I really appreciate it. I've also been thinking of starting my own server, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet :unsure:

One other thing- are you guys saying that the in-game system for rcon is risky (accidentally giving out pw)? I thought you just typed in rcon password in the admin dropdown, and then typed the commands you wanted..I didn't know you had to type the pw every time you do something.

typing anything into the console its so easy to forget the / and then everyone see's what you have typed .. I have lost count of the number of times I have seen the rcon password spammed to every player on the server because an admin forgot to put a / at the start .. using a remote rcon tool like HLSW completely eliminates this possible error :) (this is laso explained in the tutorial I sent ya)

I've also been thinking of starting my own server, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet

If you dont have your own server then what we are discussing is a moot point.

I have lost count of the number of times I have seen the rcon password spammed to every player on the server because an admin forgot to put a / at the start ..

This has actually happened to me several times.You really dont wanna give people that info because then they can attack your server with it so like Fozzer said its best to go with HLSW until you learn the commands

Is HLSW similar to Fusion? I started using Fusion today, and it is fairly simple. And I haven't started my own server today, I was just wondering how to use rcon pw to kick/ban cheaters. I learned a lot today though, like how to record...I have a feeling this will be very useful in the future.

thanks

For Rcon Info

http://www.sof2.pl/index.php?file=Page&name=serverside

Never used Fusion but here is the HLSW info

http://www.hlsw.net/?page=hlsw_info

HLSW is a powerful gaming and administration tool, useful for ambitious gamers and also for professional server administrators. From easy connecting to gameservers to live reporting of a match into an Internet Relay Chat, everthing is possible with HLSW. Because HLSW was made by gamers for gamers, the main focus was to develop an ergonomic design.

With its modular structure and the design of sections it gives you all the necessary information on every part of your gameserver with a single click. Just toggle the rcon section and you are able to administrate your server in a comfortable way within seconds.

But HLSW supports even more: Let your friends know where are you playing and show serverdata in messenger applications like ICQ and IRC, so they know where you are playing.

HLSW supports about 40 games overall with all their mods, and every update covers the newest games and changes.

Statistics

Worldwide users: ca. 7 million

Active per day: ca. 150,000 users

Downloads since 2004: aprox. 25,000,000 (only hlsw.org-mirrors)

We want to say thank you to all users for your support and we are pleased about every nice posting in the wiki or in the hlsw forum.

Supported Games

* Alien vs. Predator 2

* America's Army: Operations

* Battlefield 1942

* Battlefield 2

* Battlefield Vietnam

* C&C Renegade

* Call of Duty

* Call of Duty: United Offensive

* Devastation

* Doom 3

* Elite Force

* Elite Force 2

* Half-Life

* Half-Life 2

* HALO

* Jedi Knight 2

* Jedi Knight 3

* Medal of Honor Allied Assault

* Medal of Honor: Allied Assault Breakthrough

* Medal of Honor: Allied Assault Spearhead

* Neverwinter Nights

* Operation Flashpoint

* Operation Flashpoint Resistance

* Painkiller

* Project IGI2: Convert Strike

* Quake 1

* Quake 2

* Quake 3 Arena

* Return to Castle Wolfenstein

* Rune

* Savage: The Battle For Newerth

* Soldier of Fortune 2

* Star Wars: Battlefront

* SWAT 4

* Tribes 2

* Tribes Vengeance

* Unreal Tournament 2003

* Unreal Tournament 2004

* Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory

Supported tools and programs

* Ventrillo

System Requirements

* Windows 2000 with Service Pack 2, Windows XP Professional or Home Edition

* Minimum 5 MB of available hard-disk space

* Internet connection (56K or higher)

* Minimum 14 MB of RAM

* Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher

I downloaded HLSW, but where do I find my IP/Port number? Do I have to go into the game and start a server first?

You can probably count on me having more questions later, because this is pretty interesting and fun, even though I have no clue what I'm doing just yet lol.

I think one of you professionals may need to walk me through the steps to getting a basic server up and running. I tried, but it says timeout under ping, and it says Location is LAN down at the bottom, but my server is set to internet on SOF2...I'm so confused :unsure:

**I tried to start my own server on SOF2, but it will only come up as an LAN server...even though I clearly chose "internet" and not "LAN"...anyone know of a possible reason? If I can get past this problem, I may be able to figure everything else out with the help of tutorials...

Edited by aaron_c

You stated you belong to a server and they gave you rcon...Now your stating you have rcon but its for your own server your trying to make that doesnt even exist yet? Completely confused on this topic.... go to soffiles and read up in the "how to" section on creating your own server,,, It's alot of work doing it from home and if done wrong everytime you reboot your comp you will have to re-do everything to make a new server again.... 20 man servers range from $30-40. per month now...you should look into that...They do most of the work for you.

It started out as having rcon pw, but I'm interested in learning how to start my own now.

Anyway, I know how to open a server, but I'm firewalled or something. It says "UDP" in front of my server, and it shows it in LAN, even though i set it to internet. Any idea on how to fix this? I think if I can get this problem solved, I can do everything else with the tutorials and through trial and error or something.

Edited by aaron_c