Random Server Shutdowns

=BLACKWOLF=

Not specific to PB, but thought I'd ask here anyway.

My server randomly shuts itself down from time to time. Sometimes after 2 hours, sometimes after 24. However, it is extremely frustrating.

It can happen on any map, at any time.

Here's the last part of the console log file when it shuts itself down:

ClientBegin: 14
^1Warning: setstate (axistunneltower) called and no entities found
^1Warning: setstate (axissidetower) called and no entities found
-----------------------------------
----- Server Shutdown -----
Sending heartbeat to etmaster.idsoftware.com
^2-- Script System Info --
^2Current Memory Usage 1.69414 MB
^2Soft Memory Usage 1.8 MB
^2Hard Memory Limit 2 MB
^2System Memory Usage 1016.06 KB
^2Full Collects 0
^2Inc Collects 0
^2GC Warnings 0
^2Threads: 10, 7 Running, 0 Blocked, 3 Sleeping
==== ShutdownGame ====
ShutdownGame:
------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------

Thanks in advance for any replies,

BlackWolf.

Not specific to PB, but thought I'd ask here anyway.

My server randomly shuts itself down from time to time. Sometimes after 2 hours, sometimes after 24. However, it is extremely frustrating.

It can happen on any map, at any time.

Here's the last part of the console log file when it shuts itself down:

ClientBegin: 14
^1Warning: setstate (axistunneltower) called and no entities found
^1Warning: setstate (axissidetower) called and no entities found
-----------------------------------
----- Server Shutdown -----
Sending heartbeat to etmaster.idsoftware.com
^2-- Script System Info --
^2Current Memory Usage 1.69414 MB
^2Soft Memory Usage 1.8 MB
^2Hard Memory Limit 2 MB
^2System Memory Usage 1016.06 KB
^2Full Collects 0
^2Inc Collects 0
^2GC Warnings 0
^2Threads: 10, 7 Running, 0 Blocked, 3 Sleeping
==== ShutdownGame ====
ShutdownGame:
------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------

Thanks in advance for any replies,

BlackWolf.

What ET version/mod?

My apologies, I should have been more clear.

Mod: etpub 0.7.2 (same problem occurs with 0.8.1)

ET Version: ET 2.55 linux-i386 May 27 2003

2.55 = problems, I know, but very few others in 2.55 seem to have this problem.

Edited by =BLACKWOLF=

Benway may be 100% correct, but I notice you are running the 1.00 build - any reason you haven't installed the 1.01 patch? Build Jun 24 2003 - it was put out specifically to address server stability.

Link - for Linux, since that's what you're using -

http://returntocastlewolfenstein.filefront.../ET_Patch;15597

Edited by Chris64

I'm currently running the stock 6 map campaign, and sometimes, the rotation will go over several times without ever shutting down.

Then, can be half way through any map, and it shuts itself down. No errors at all in the log.

I'm changing hosts, as the host I have does not have the option to have the server restart after a crash. It's also laggy as hell.

I'll pass the patch link onto the host, and see if they'll install it for me, although I think they may be relucatant to do so since I only have a couple of weeks left with them.

Thanks for your help,

BlackWolf.

Benway may be 100% correct, but I notice you are running the 1.00 build - any reason you haven't installed the 1.01 patch? Build Jun 24 2003 - it was put out specifically to address server stability.

Link - for Linux, since that's what you're using -

http://returntocastlewolfenstein.filefront.../ET_Patch;15597

if i find we are runnin an older version where exactly does the file get placed ??? etmain ??

can i just use ftpto upload it or does it have to be done by the server company ( gameservers ) ?

All patches can be done via ftp then restart your server . Usually copy and paste the run files into the first folder eg you see etmain and your mod folders then below the etded and x86 files that you will replace. cant remember which files your swapping with patch 1.01 but it should be self evident :)

OK, I've changed to a better value host (escaped turkey), and I still have the same problem.

I am running ET 2.55 with etpub 0.7.2 + omnibot 0.5.3. Also, etadmin_mod is running.

There is no crash information in either the etserver.log file or the etconsole.log file. The logs simply end. Here's an example of the end of the etconsole.log file:

Item: 4 weapon_magicammo2
Ammo_Pack: 6 4
Kill: 4 19 9: ^0|>^1BOT^0<|^1Bean^7 killed Jaum by MOD_MP40
^2ScriptGoals.dispense_ammo.DispenseAmmo 
^2ScriptGoals.dispense_ammo.DispenseAmmo Enabled 
^3PunkBuster Server: Auto Screenshot 000926 Requested from 11 Kaiser Vilhelm
^3PunkBuster Server: Auto Screenshot 000927 Requested from 12 ^0#^7p^1R^7p^0/^7Genesis^0***
^3PunkBuster Server: Auto Screenshot 000928 Requested from 13 ^0((^1p^7R^4p^0))^7Lady Croft^0
^3PunkBuster Server: Auto Screenshot 000929 Requested from 14 Robin
^3PunkBuster Server: Auto Screenshot 000930 Requested from 15 [Skype]Psycho
^3PunkBuster Server: Auto Screenshot 000931 Requested from 20 Jaum
Hitch warning: 879 msec frame time
Item: 7 weapon_magicammo2
^2ScriptGoals.dispense_health.DispenseHealth 
^2ScriptGoals.dispense_health.DispenseHealth Enabled 
Kill: 13 8 30: Robin killed ^0|>^1BOT^0<|^1Backfire^7 by MOD_ARTY
Kill: 13 5 30: Robin killed ^0|>^1BOT^0<|^1Bullseye^7 by MOD_ARTY
Rcon from 72.5.248.47:56544:
chat
Rcon f

The log actually cut off in the middle of "Rcon from xxx... " etc :o

Here is my rotation/map cycle config:

set d1 "campaign cmpgn_northafrica; set nextcampaign vstr d2"

set d2 "campaign cmpgn_centraleurope; set nextcampaign vstr d1" 

// server doesn't recognise the campaign command when the gamecode isn't running yet.

set d_initial "set g_gametype 4; map oasis; set nextcampaign vstr d2"

vstr d_initial

Thanks in advance for any help 8)

======EDIT======

Could it be etadmin_mod causing the problem? I notice that the logs end as etadmin_mod attempts to send an rcon command to the server.

I'm going to do a little test. As I still have my old server for a few days, I've set it up with Jaymod. So, if that server doesn't crash, it would suggest it is something to do with the etpub/etadmin_mod setup. So, if the Jaymod server doesn't crash, I'm going to disabled etadmin_mod on the etpub server, and see how well it runs then.

I'd still like to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this though, as it really has me puzzled.

Edited by =BLACKWOLF=

OK, I've changed to a better value host (escaped turkey), and I still have the same problem.

I am running ET 2.55 with etpub 0.7.2 + omnibot 0.5.3. Also, etadmin_mod is running.

There is no crash information in either the etserver.log file or the etconsole.log file. The logs simply end. Here's an example of the end of the etconsole.log file:

Item: 4 weapon_magicammo2
Ammo_Pack: 6 4
Kill: 4 19 9: ^0|>^1BOT^0<|^1Bean^7 killed Jaum by MOD_MP40
^2ScriptGoals.dispense_ammo.DispenseAmmo 
^2ScriptGoals.dispense_ammo.DispenseAmmo Enabled 
^3PunkBuster Server: Auto Screenshot 000926 Requested from 11 Kaiser Vilhelm
^3PunkBuster Server: Auto Screenshot 000927 Requested from 12 ^0#^7p^1R^7p^0/^7Genesis^0***
^3PunkBuster Server: Auto Screenshot 000928 Requested from 13 ^0((^1p^7R^4p^0))^7Lady Croft^0
^3PunkBuster Server: Auto Screenshot 000929 Requested from 14 Robin
^3PunkBuster Server: Auto Screenshot 000930 Requested from 15 [Skype]Psycho
^3PunkBuster Server: Auto Screenshot 000931 Requested from 20 Jaum
Hitch warning: 879 msec frame time
^2ScriptGoals.dispense_health.DispenseHealth 
^2ScriptGoals.dispense_health.DispenseHealth Enabled 
Kill: 13 8 30: Robin killed ^0|>^1BOT^0<|^1Backfire^7 by MOD_ARTY
Kill: 13 5 30: Robin killed ^0|>^1BOT^0<|^1Bullseye^7 by MOD_ARTY
Rcon from 72.5.248.47:56544:
chat
Rcon f

The log actually cut off in the middle of "Rcon from xxx... " etc :o

Here is my rotation/map cycle config:

set d1 "campaign cmpgn_northafrica; set nextcampaign vstr d2"

set d2 "campaign cmpgn_centraleurope; set nextcampaign vstr d1" 

// server doesn't recognise the campaign command when the gamecode isn't running yet.

set d_initial "set g_gametype 4; map oasis; set nextcampaign vstr d2"

vstr d_initial

Thanks in advance for any help 8)

======EDIT======

Could it be etadmin_mod causing the problem? I notice that the logs end as etadmin_mod attempts to send an rcon command to the server.

I'm going to do a little test. As I still have my old server for a few days, I've set it up with Jaymod. So, if that server doesn't crash, it would suggest it is something to do with the etpub/etadmin_mod setup. So, if the Jaymod server doesn't crash, I'm going to disabled etadmin_mod on the etpub server, and see how well it runs then.

I'd still like to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this though, as it really has me puzzled.

I've never had a problem with etadmin_mod. The last version I used, however, was 0.28. I actually ran it on Windows with Cygwin as well. Most of the features aren't needed with Jaymod so I've never added it back. All etadmin_mod commands are done from local rcon, that's why it needs your password ;).

Any particular reason you are using campaigns? Just curious - I was always under the impression they caused more problems & headaches then they were worth.

I am inclined to believe your problems stem in some way or other to the OmniBot you are running, but I have little experience in that area. I was told before that OmniBot wouldn't even work on 2.55, but have never tried it.

I've never had a problem with etadmin_mod. The last version I used, however, was 0.28. I actually ran it on Windows with Cygwin as well. Most of the features aren't needed with Jaymod so I've never added it back. All etadmin_mod commands are done from local rcon, that's why it needs your password ;).

Any particular reason you are using campaigns? Just curious - I was always under the impression they caused more problems & headaches then they were worth.

I am inclined to believe your problems stem in some way or other to the OmniBot you are running, but I have little experience in that area. I was told before that OmniBot wouldn't even work on 2.55, but have never tried it.

The Jaymod without etadmin_mod's just a test to eliminate the possibility that it's etpub causing the problem. That's not the case as the Jaymod server crashed too :angry:

I basically ran etadmin_mod to get spree sounds in etpub 0.7.2. I've just removed etadmin_mod, and upgraded etpub to 0.8.1, meaning there is no need for etadmin_mod any more (spree sounds built into etpub 0.8.1).

So, I'll see how it goes.

As you said, I guess it's the omni-bot's causing the problem. They do work pretty well in 2.55, with no problems whilst they're running. But it looks like it could be the bots causing the server to crash.

//EDIT

I only run campaigns for the 6 map classic cycle. If I want to run some customs, I use a standard rotation config.

Edited by =BLACKWOLF=