adding auto text to a COD4 server

=CR= Slaughter

Do I need to keep pb_sv_taskempty at the start of the svrmsgs.cfg?

You should only have it 1 place.

( i.e. - don't have it in the message config AND the pb config )

I keep my messages and tasks in the one config ( svrmsgs.cfg )

with the taskempty command at the top.

Edited by =GG= RocknRoll

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies in advance - another 'Doh' mail i expect!

I have modified the \pb\pbsv.cfg to include at the end the pb_sv_load svrmsgs.cfg command

I have created a \pb\svrmsgs.cfg that contains the following:

pb_sv_TaskEmpty

pb_sv_task 20 -1 "say ^5Sights compulsory!"

used the pb_sv_restart (and even a full server restart)

But still no joy.

(one thing that i was curious about - on using the pb_sv_restart I did not get a response, as I would to several rcon commands.

Any thoughts?

Apologies in advance - another 'Doh' mail i expect!

I have modified the \pb\pbsv.cfg to include at the end the pb_sv_load svrmsgs.cfg command

I have created a \pb\svrmsgs.cfg that contains the following:

pb_sv_TaskEmpty

pb_sv_task 20 -1 "say ^5Sights compulsory!"

used the pb_sv_restart (and even a full server restart)

But still no joy.

(one thing that i was curious about - on using the pb_sv_restart I did not get a response, as I would to several rcon commands.

Any thoughts?

Sorry guys - all sorted. (Yes it was a Doh! - i didnt realise the timing was in relation to the PB server rather than the game server.... )

• 1 month later...

Hi again. I was wondering, is there a way to make messages appear longer? And also I have a long text I need to add but unfortunately it doesn't fit on the screen so it ends up cutting off the first part of the message. Can I do a scroll that will put up that message in 2 texts but right after one another(or 3 secs after)?

Message 1 is very long so I would need to add the second part of the message 3 secs after the first. So would it be like this?

pb_sv_task 10 23 "say first part LONG MESSAGE"

pb_sv_task 13 23 "say second part of LONG MESSAGE"

There is only 1 message. The reason I ask this is because one week from now the IP will be changing and I would like to have it displayed on the screen frequently. (as above every 23 secs.)

Try a simpler message, or two.

Something like.

New server in "x" days/weeks"

close the timing up a bit between the messages and inlclude forum info, or new server IP

Then add a final date/time for close, short message.

Incidently, while the messages are handy, you'll find the average gamer tends to tune them out and not read them anyways. At least that's been my experience. They just want to frag.

• 2 weeks later...

You could also Try Tatakai Server Scan this has embedded console messages that you can preset yourself and also a great auto kick enforcement command for pings i enabled myne to kick any pings over 200 & to warn them twice before doing so. I really reccomend every admin to use this program http://software.tatakai.co.uk/TSS.shtml

Edited by {UKB}Snake

• 2 weeks later...

ok, i have the messages coming up in my server at my set times and everything, thanks to reading your folks' posts, but my problem is that when i am in my own server, i get the message from the console, but the message is repeated right after the console one in my name

ex)

console: Welcome to the server

a few seconds later

HGP||ChinaBaby: Welcome to the server

I have tried everything i can think of, but i just can't seem to fix it, anyone else having this problem?

this is what i have in my srvrmsgs.cfg file

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pb_sv_taskempty

// Task setup for PunkBuster

pb_sv_task 20 300 "say ^5Welcome to the ^6HGP||Clan Server"

pb_sv_task 60 300 "say ^6Come and visit us at ^5www.hgpclan.com"

pb_sv_task 100 300 "say ^3Respect all players(except hackers), ^1Don't cheat!! ^5You will be caught, ridiculed, then banned!"

pb_sv_task 140 300 "say ^5Email server admin:[email protected]"

pb_sv_task 180 300 "say ^5Remember to verbally abuse hackers until an admin can ban them >:)"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just increase your time-limits a bit.

start with 20 300 then move to 80 300 and so on. 40 seconds is theoretically enough, but I found my server rather "spammy" with them that close.

yeah, i still cant get it to work, so i downloaded that server scanner program... works perfectly

so if anyone has the same strange problem as me, just get the tatakai server scanner program

And for anyone that hates all the space the console messages take up if you run a lot, Alternative is to use the pb_sv_say command as a task.. Places the server messages at the bottom of the screen..

pb_Sv_task 5 340 pb_sv_say 0 ^1We ^2Kick ^1for ^3Members ^1and ^3Allies

They usually disappear within 2 seconds, so I spam important messages 2-3 times

pb_Sv_task 20 200 pb_sv_say 0 ^1We are recruiting players ^518+ ^1Visit us at ^2DEADLYASSASSINSCLAN.COM ^1to apply!

pb_Sv_task 20 200 pb_sv_say 0 ^1We are recruiting players ^518+ ^1Visit us at ^2DEADLYASSASSINSCLAN.COM ^1to apply!

Like that, Which works rather well

• 5 months later...

Im having trouble getting server messages setup as well....

I have my main rankedserver.cfg file that has the following 3 lines at the bottom:

wait
exec pbsv.cfg
exec maprotation.cfg

Now, my pbsv.cfg already has some lines in it for Task Settings that I pasted in, as a mod i was installing (promod3 final) said to do so, and is as follows:

//*******************************************//
//**************Task Settings****************//
pb_sv_taskempty
pb_sv_MsgPrefix "^7[^1CAL/CEVO/TGL/TWL PB^7]" //[PB Message Prefix (default=3D^3PunkBuster Client)]
pb_sv_task 10 481 "say ^2DAMN^7:MW ^4Punkbuster ^7 config ^1December 11 2008"
pb_sv_task 1 60 "pb_sv_guidrelax 1"
pb_sv_task 1 20 "pb_sv_bindsrch "+attack""
pb_sv_task 1 25 "pb_sv_bindsrch "r_lodscalerigid""
pb_sv_task 1 15 "pb_sv_bindsrch "com_maxfps"
pb_sv_task 1 15 "pb_sv_bindsrch "footsteps"
pb_sv_task 1 30 "pb_sv_bindsrch "snd_restart""
pb_sv_task 1 15 "pb_sv_bindsrch "+holdbreath""
pb_sv_task 1 10 "pb_sv_bindsrch "sv_ClientSideBullets"

Now, should I just append my server messages to that? I cant try it cause im at work. Before I spotted that, i had the following at the bottom of my pbsv.cfg file:

pb_sv_load srvmsg.cfg

And then in my srvmsg.cfg file (in the pb folder) i had:

pb_sv_taskempty

//where <color> =  
//^1 for Red
//^2 for Green
//^3 for Yellow
//^4 for Blue
//^5 for Cyan
//^6 for pink/Magenta
//^7 for White
//^8 for Black

//where <message> = the text you want to scroll

pb_sv_task 10 750 "say something 1"
pb_sv_task 100 750 "say something 2"
pb_sv_task 200 750 "say  something 3"
pb_sv_task 300 750 "say  something 4"
pb_sv_task 400 750 "say  something 5"

Im wondering if the existence of the other Task Settings that I had not spotted in the pbsv.cfg file had stopped this from working :huh:

Will obviously try appending my messages to the existing task setting stuff in pbsv.cfg when i get home, but if anyone can confirm or pooh pooh my thoughts, It would be appreciated.

thanks

Quote from 'ZeroCool'

Im having trouble getting server messages setup as well....

I have my main rankedserver.cfg file that has the following 3 lines at the bottom:

wait
exec pbsv.cfg
exec maprotation.cfg

Now, my pbsv.cfg already has some lines in it for Task Settings that I pasted in, as a mod i was installing (promod3 final) said to do so, and is as follows:

//**************Task Settings****************//
pb_sv_taskempty
pb_sv_MsgPrefix "^7[^1CAL/CEVO/TGL/TWL PB^7]" //[PB Message Prefix (default=3D^3PunkBuster Client)]
pb_sv_task 10 481 "say ^2DAMN^7:MW ^4Punkbuster ^7 config ^1December 11 2008"
pb_sv_task 1 60 "pb_sv_guidrelax 1"
pb_sv_task 1 20 "pb_sv_bindsrch "+attack""
pb_sv_task 1 25 "pb_sv_bindsrch "r_lodscalerigid""
pb_sv_task 1 15 "pb_sv_bindsrch "com_maxfps"
pb_sv_task 1 15 "pb_sv_bindsrch "footsteps"
pb_sv_task 1 30 "pb_sv_bindsrch "snd_restart""
pb_sv_task 1 15 "pb_sv_bindsrch "+holdbreath""
pb_sv_task 1 10 "pb_sv_bindsrch "sv_ClientSideBullets"

Now, should I just append my server messages to that? I cant try it cause im at work. Before I spotted that, i had the following at the bottom of my pbsv.cfg file:

pb_sv_load srvmsg.cfg

And then in my srvmsg.cfg file (in the pb folder) i had:

pb_sv_taskempty

//where <color> =  
//^1 for Red
//^2 for Green
//^3 for Yellow
//^4 for Blue
//^5 for Cyan
//^6 for pink/Magenta
//^7 for White
//^8 for Black

pb_sv_task 100 750 "say something 2"
pb_sv_task 200 750 "say  something 3"
pb_sv_task 300 750 "say  something 4"
pb_sv_task 400 750 "say  something 5"

Im wondering if the existence of the other Task Settings that I had not spotted in the pbsv.cfg file had stopped this from working :huh:

Will obviously try appending my messages to the existing task setting stuff in pbsv.cfg when i get home, but if anyone can confirm or pooh pooh my thoughts, It would be appreciated.

thanks

You only need one pb_sv_taskempty which should be done at the beginning of the config file.

You also need to make a small change to your messages:

Instead of this:

pb_sv_task 10 750 say "something 1"

or

pb_sv_task 10 750 say something 1

Firstly, thanks for the help so far, but I still cant get this damn thing working....

the content of my pbsv.cfg file is now only:

pb_sv_taskempty

pb_sv_task 20 180 say something 1
pb_sv_task 40 180 say something 2
pb_sv_task 60 180 say something 2

//Punkbuster scripts for CoD4 Promod
//By Ryan Palmer
//
//Insert this into your pbsv.cfg file

pb_sv_cvar sc_enable in 0
pb_sv_cvar sm_enable in 0
pb_sv_cvar r_dlight_limit in 0
pb_sv_cvar dynent_active in 0
pb_sv_cvar snaps in 30
pb_sv_cvar cl_maxpackets in 100
pb_sv_cvar rate in 25000
pb_sv_cvar cg_nopredict in 0

And at the bottom of my main rankedserver.cfg file:

wait 5
exec pbsv.cfg
exec maprotation.cfg

I always restart the server after any changes to either file. Still does not work :blink:

the pbsv.cfg file is in your pb folder... you should already have one in there... Open that up and add the lines then upload to your server and either do a full restart or just pb_sv_restart

the pbsv.cfg file is in your pb folder... you should already have one in there... Open that up and add the lines then upload to your server and either do a full restart or just pb_sv_restart

Yeah I know. Still not working, so i even tried doing it from scratch on a clean pbsv.cfg file, by doing /pb_sv_writecfg and then editing that file to include my messages, but still dont work.

Ive event taken my server config and pbsv.cfg files from another server that I know has working messages and they dont work either?? Strange things are afoot at the circleK

I give up :blink:

And at the bottom of my main rankedserver.cfg file:

wait 5
exec pbsv.cfg
exec maprotation.cfg

I always restart the server after any changes to either file. Still does not work :blink:

I'm not certain if you should exec the pbsv.cfg file like that. The pbsv.cfg file is located in the /pb folder.

set sv_punkbuster 1
wait 5
pb_sv_enable

Try putting those lines in your game server config. Punkbuster should automatically process the pbsv.cfg file if it's correctly located in pb folder.

set sv_punkbuster 1
  wait 5
  pb_sv_enable

Try putting those lines in your game server config. Punkbuster should automatically process the pbsv.cfg file if it's correctly located in pb folder.

Made that change, restarted and still no messages lol....doh!

Dont worry matey, its more trouble than its worth.

Thanks for your efforts though :)

• 3 weeks later...
Method 1 (easy)

Download ModernRcon 0.2 after joining up on www.codhq.com's forums. This version was just released yesterday. It is specifically for COD4, and now has auto messaging abilty. The downside is you have to keep the tool up and running for the messages to scroll.

Method 2 (a little more involved, but not dependent on client side Rcon tools to run)

From evenbalance.com:

PB_SV_Task [X] [Y] [command]

Adds a task to PB's Task List; The Task will be executed X seconds after entry and every Y seconds thereafter; use -1 for Y if a one-time task is desired; this can be used to execute game server commands as well as PB commands

Create a file called (just an example, you can call it anything you want) svrmsgs.cfg. Add this text to it and edit for your needs using the explanation above from evenbalance.com:

pb_sv_taskempty

//where <color> =  
//^1 for Red
//^2 for Green
//^3 for Yellow
//^4 for Blue
//^5 for Cyan
//^6 for pink/Magenta
//^7 for White
//^8 for Black

pb_sv_task 10 1000 "say <color><message1>"	  
pb_sv_task 100 1100 "say <color><message2>"   
pb_sv_task 200 1200 "say <color><message3>"
pb_sv_task 300 1300 "say <color><message4>"
pb_sv_task 400 1400 "say <color><message5>"

Then upload the svrmsgs.cfg file to your pb directory on the server, and edit your pbsv.cfg file to call the svrmsgs.com by adding "pb_sv_load svrmsgs.cfg"

Finally, do a pb_sv_restart and you should see your messages start to scroll after the first X value of seconds has passed.

how do i end this? bc where ever i want... this messaging started... even on servers that aren't mine... so how do i end it?