"Is this server streaming"

BOTA:X

Many times I find myself in a server wondering if it's streaming to PBBans. Yes I know I can paste the IP into the website, but it's not exactly convenient and in fact offers only a snapshot of that moment.

I have a great deal more confidence in the legitemacy of players around me when I know that the server is streaming PBBans, because of the detection yes but mostly because I know that the ban list of 10k+ in COD4 is being enforced. I prefer to play in streaming servers, and the defacto way I create a mental list of them is remembering which ones had the ban announcements show up in them.

There has to be a way to know, definitively, if the server you are in is currently streaming. I have a couple ideas with various pros and cons I'd like to throw out there:

Possibility 1: Bi-hourly broadcast.

Ever half hour, in a style similar to the ban announcements, the server announces it is streaming to PBBans.

Pros:

-Lets all players know that the server is in fact streaming and it has not been disabled.

-Instills confidence in the players that the admins are overtly anti-cheat.

-Advertises PBBans

-Is very simple to code.

Cons:

-Is very simple to impersonate. A team could turn streaming off during a match and then have a macro to announce that it is streaming.

-Only gives an indication at that time. Have to wait up to 30 minutes to find out.

-Most resource intensive possibility

-Scares cheaters away before they get caught, if you consider that a con.

Possibility 2: Streaming status on demand.

Whenever a player types in global chat the word "Streaming" followed by a question mark, the hub announces that it is in fact streaming. For example if I say "streaming?" or "is this server streaming?", it would in effect reply.

Pros:

-On demand, instant answer.

-Not as resource intensive or "spammy" as regular announcements

-To prevent clutter, the answer could be sent to just that player with the pb_sv_say component.

For instance if someone in slot 5 queries if the server is streaming, the hub sends back "pb_sv_say 5 Server is streaming to PBBans"

-Not duplicatable by the admins because they can't alway see what you're typing

Cons:

-Possible flood issues if someone macros the word "streaming".

Possibility 3: Streaming status to "secret requests"

The hub only sends streaming status to players who have a specific cvar set. For instance, /seta streamingstatus 1

When the server does a cvar walk past that player it will send them back a pb_sv_say to their slot number letting only them know that streaming is active.

Pros:

-Little resources needed as only those that want to know will have that cvar set

-Not spammy at all.

-Completely automatic and intermidant once you set it.

-Can be disabled at any time by setting cvar to 0

Cons:

-Can't think of any. Doesn't really let the "average player" know as it is somewhat covert.

Anyway, maybe it's a good idea maybe not. I'd love to see something like the 3 scenarios I came up implemented, but if it's not at the top of your development list I completely understand. ;)

you could setup a join greeting for yourself that states Welcome BOTA:X This server is streaming to PBBans!

I have this configured for my GUID however, some servers do not allow Hub Greetings. But it's better than nothing. I like knowing if the server is streaming.

• 4 months later...
you could setup a join greeting for yourself that states Welcome BOTA:X This server is streaming to PBBans!

Can the average person do this? I do not run a server or admin on a server, Just would like to know when the server is streaming

Can the average person do this? I do not run a server or admin on a server, Just would like to know when the server is streaming

Creating a personalized Join Greeting is a benefit reserved for PBBans SGAs. If you are a member of a clan and your clan streams to PBBans, your clan member who is an SGA here can configure a custom join greeting (based on your GUID) for you.