Q on how banning happens

Oracleman

Hi, got a question about how actual bans happen. A player in our league claims he got on the PBBANS list after someone had stolen and played CoD4 using his guid. He says (referring to a thread at gameviolations.ggl.com about violation #50104):

that still means nothing m8, have a look at the thread i sent you, it explains a bit more, even when a key is used and the violation is triggered it will stay in a limbo state when the other person using it is kicked, when the legit person connects later it will trigger the incident again and log it, or somin.

but its a genuine case and even that league has started lifting that violation on users, as many innocent people are being punished because of it

So my question is simply is this BS? I assume all bans are triggered by the cheater himself and hence logged on his IP. Not on someone potentially innocent later on.

Plz tell me I'm right :blink:

yes this is simple bs. It will show that the player is globally banned but thats about it. do you have a ban link also so I can explain it better?

FYI GV is formed by former cheaters, Evenbalance has not stated that violation 50104 is a false positive.

Also where is GV on this list?

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=links.php

Thx m8, I dont need further explanations. I know how it works, just needed confirmation on the IP logged on all bans actually being the cheaters IP. In this case he posted on our forums using the same IP as that showing in the ban.

Thx for your help

In all honesty PBBans does not ban via IP. So if the clean player is playing then later the cheating player logs on using his guid (would have to have cd key) and then is caught. The clean player will then be considered a convicted cheater. PBBans does have access to the IP used during the ban however the ban would not be lifted just because a cd key was stolen. So Innocent people can be banned but only if someone else has access to there key/guid.

OK. A bit troubling but OK. I know bans are not on IP only in this particular case the ban is logged on the same IP as the person I'm talking about used in our forums The playername also correspnds.

I think that pretty much proves he was cheating HIMSELF even though his guid could have been stolen.

We use a "once a cheater always a cheater" policy in our league meaning we would not let him play league matches again even if he did buy a new game. So we basicly need to know he was cheating and not someone else.

Edited by Oracleman

In all honesty PBBans does not ban via IP. So if the clean player is playing then later the cheating player logs on using his guid (would have to have cd key) and then is caught. The clean player will then be considered a convicted cheater. PBBans does have access to the IP used during the ban however the ban would not be lifted just because a cd key was stolen. So Innocent people can be banned but only if someone else has access to there key/guid.

Just to clear this up all the way. We all know bans are not on IP. I also understand how an innocent player can be banned if his key was stolen. But - is the IP logged on a specific ban always the IP of the cheater? Knowing how PB streams bans I assume so but a yes or no would be good here. Thx

You don't get "innocent" IP's on a GUID, they have for sure been used on that GUID.

FYI: IP's are only additional information and will never be taken into consideration on a ban, only GUID's.

I'm sorry if I'm a pain in the butt - but

You don't get "innocent" IP's on a GUID, they have for sure been used on that GUID.

That's actually a yes and no to my question. But as long as a guid can be stolen there could also be innocent ip's IF the person it was stolen from never cheated. However, if the IP attached to the pbbans ban record originally comes from the PB streaming server that caught the cheater then I guess that answers my question.

(as said earlier in this thread, the player in question here claims his guid was stolen but he posted multiple times in our forums using the same IP as recorded on the ban. I find it hard to believe that someone stole his guid and spoofed his IP at the same time)

(and there are no other ip ranges recorded on guid either so I also find it hard to belive the guid was actually stolen unless it was stolen by his brother)

Again, sorry for weird questions. :lol:

Edited by Oracleman

With: You don't get "innocent" IP's on a GUID, they have for sure been used on that GUID. I mean those who are raising the violation in the first place. Then again, those who appeal are in most cases the real owner of that GUID, and can off course be innocent and are in many cases just that as well. However, we do not remove any information on bans added.

the ban your referring to was from his IP. He had a dynamic IP associated with his guid. we attempted to show him that he key was indeed not stolen. He had only two aliases associated with that guid too (both relating to your clan). on top of that he saw the violation on his screen meaning that his computer raised the violation, not another.

-Dan