Streaming, Hub Messages, Overall General Question

=NZ=Crazy_Legz

We are now up and streaming to PBBans. The setup process was well documented and painless. Now that we are up streaming I have some general questions as to overall maintenance of things that I need to do as a server admin.

Our server is a World at War Server if that makes any difference in the answers to the questions below.

1.) Do I need to manually update the cfgs on a periodic basis? (pbsv.cfg, pbsvuser.cfg, MD5 Checks)? Or is this automatic?

2.) Do I need to manually update the pbbans.dat file for WaW? After going through the process the file did not create itself nor did I see anything added to it overnight. I assume this file is where the bans are added to when a ban is issued? In the server options I do have it set to announce and save the user bans.

3.) Hub Greetings - I notice some servers just have a general message that says Welcome Player XYZ to this server. Can this be a function of the Hub Greeting? I also understand from reading is that hub greetings will also display on all PBBans servers if you add one pinned to someones GUID?

4.) Are there any things I should be doing to report info back (screen shots, etc, etc)?

5.) Also, (not a function) of PBBans, but does anyone know how to do scrolling messages from the pbsv.cfg file? Just general announcements like you can get your stats from here etc.

Thanks

Darrell

I'll answer the questions as far as I can...

1) As far as I know, you need to update your pbsvuser.cfg file manually each time an update is made to the MD5 checklist (see MCI)

2) No. Each person's GUID get's 'live-checked' when they join the server, to see if it's on the MBI. As far as I know, there is no need to update the pbbans.dat file manually, unless you have ''Enforce/Accept bans'' disabled in the server manager.

3) If I understood your question correctly, then yes, the join greeting is indeed a system that can be used to for example, welcome people to your server. Not sure about the second part of your question.

4) If your server takes Punkbuster screenshots automatically, you can submit them to be added to the MBI if they show someone using a hack. (Again, I'm not sure I understood your question correctly). This is optional and aside from this, I don't believe there is anything you have to report back.

5) Check your PM.

I'm sure another SGA or PBB staff member can fill in the blanks and correct me where needed. :)

Edited by Lucky_Fr4gg3r

I'll answer the questions as far as I can...

1) As far as I know, you need to update your pbsvuser.cfg file manually each time an update is made to the MD5 checklist (see MCI)

2) No. Each person's GUID get's 'live-checked' when they join the server, to see if it's on the MBI. As far as I know, there is no need to update the pbbans.dat file manually, unless you have ''Enforce/Accept bans'' disabled in the server manager.

3) If I understood your question correctly, then yes, the join greeting is indeed a system that can be used to for example, welcome people to your server. Not sure about the second part of your question.

4) If your server takes Punkbuster screenshots automatically, you can submit them to be added to the MBI if they show someone using a hack. (Again, I'm not sure I understood your question correctly). This is optional and aside from this, I don't believe there is anything you have to report back.

5) Check your PM.

I'm sure another SGA or PBB staff member can fill in the blanks and correct me where needed. :)

First off thank you for your reply.

#1.) Is there any way to subscribe to an auto notice regarding when updates are made?

#2.) Since I am live checking should I remove the PBBANS.DAT file?

#3.) The second part of my question regarding the greetings is that if I put a greeting for a member of our clan based on the guid for when they join something along the lines of "=NZ=Legz is an admin, any problems please let him know". Would that also be displayed on other servers who have hub greetings enabled if he joined those servers. I am sure other servers who have hub greetings enabled would not appreciate that nor do I want to cause any issues with that.

#5.) Thank you - I am reading the thread now.

I appreciate your time in responding to my questions.

#1.) Is there any way to subscribe to an auto notice regarding when updates are made?

Subscribe to the CoD5 MCi Update topic: http://www.pbbans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69902

#2.) Since I am live checking should I remove the PBBANS.DAT file?

With the Enforce Bans option enabled the work of checking users as they join is put on the Hub however, I'd recommend keeping the pbbans.dat file in place. That is my opinion as a server admin.

#3.) The second part of my question regarding the greetings is that if I put a greeting for a member of our clan based on the guid for when they join something along the lines of "=NZ=Legz is an admin, any problems please let him know". Would that also be displayed on other servers who have hub greetings enabled if he joined those servers. I am sure other servers who have hub greetings enabled would not appreciate that nor do I want to cause any issues with that.

HUB Greetings are shown on any server with 'Allow Hub Greetings' enabled. It's best to keep them a bit generic.

Posts for reference: http://www.pbbans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65742.

Team Account Flags Explained: http://www.pbbans.com/forums/Team-Account-...ned-t49924.html

1.) Do I need to manually update the cfgs on a periodic basis? (pbsv.cfg, pbsvuser.cfg, MD5 Checks)? Or is this automatic?

As far as I know, you can enable the 'Enable CVAR AutoUpdates' and 'Enable MD5 AutoUpdates' flags, that will automatically update your pbsvuser.cfg with new MD5 and CVAR checks.

As far as I know, you can enable the 'Enable CVAR AutoUpdates' and 'Enable MD5 AutoUpdates' flags, that will automatically update your pbsvuser.cfg with new MD5 and CVAR checks.

Enable cvar / md5 auto updates are still experimental features.

The 2 EXPERIMENTAL flags will only save the updates in memory. Admins will still have to update their CVAR/MD5 checks using this method click me to make permanent changes.