Multiple screenshots the same

PZXN

I play BF2, pretty much only game I play. Recently starting getting kicked from one server because of black screen shots, the message usually told me to update my videocard. I have an 8800 GTX with the latest driver (as of 12/29/09). I asked the server admin some questions about what my screenshots were showing and he said that out of like 15 screenshots, there would only actually be 3 different shots. I am trying to get him to send them to me so I can look at them.

I read that some people had issues with the 8800 series and weird screen shots, anybody got any idea what would be causing this?

Thanks

-Chris

Sadly, there are some server admins out there who, regardless of well publicized and easy to attain information regarding black pbss, still insist it's the player that has to fix the issue. Since the advent of Windows Vista, the issue could be related to virtually anything, and it's up to evenbalance, the creators of the punkbuster software, to fix the black pbss issue.

That being said, server admins are allowed to run their servers the way they feel fit. If they choose to kick or to local-ban for black screen shots, there's nothing we can do about it. They're the ones paying for their servers. You can rest assured, though, that you won't end up on the master ban list here as a result of black screen shots.

Thanks for the quick answers guys, I appreciate it. I will give a link to this topic for them to read and decide what to do. Appreciate the help!

Sorry for the double post, could not find the edit button. Here is the screenshots that were taken. Anything seem out of the ordinary?

pzxn.7z

Edited by PZXN

The problem is NOT Black Screens. The problem is same images different batch numbers taken at different times. When screen shots are taken of a person they rotate among 3 images, and each shot is a different batch number and shots are taken minutes apart from each other.

I am very aware what can cause black screens, but this problem is not video card specific.

These two shots where taken 4 minutes apart, the batch number is consecutive with the player but the same image. There are also 4 other screenshots that have a different image than below but the same as each other and again the batch numbers are consecutive for the player. PZXN has also attached all the screenshot that where taken of him during two maps of play.

I have read the trouble ticket in the image above, if this is indeed something PB is doing and storing images and the client can return an image that was already sent in....then that needs to be fixed asap, screenshots need to be when there taken, not at the clients leisure, they need to be taken at the time of the request. If they are not then it makes it even harder to catch cheaters.

edit: This has not happened to any of the members of our clan, I have only seen this happen to 3 players on our server in the past 2 months even with taking multiple screenshots of everyone in the server at once.

post-134804-12627022897163_thumb.png

post-134804-12627022992417_thumb.png

Edited by Xanlamin

These two shots where taken 4 minutes apart, the batch number is consecutive with the player but the same image. There are also 4 other screenshots that have a different image than below but the same as each other and again the batch numbers are consecutive for the player. PZXN has also attached all the screenshot that where taken of him during two maps of play.

I have read the trouble ticket in the image above, if this is indeed something PB is doing and storing images and the client can return an image that was already sent in....then that needs to be fixed asap, screenshots need to be when there taken, not at the clients leisure, they need to be taken at the time of the request. If they are not then it makes it even harder to catch cheaters.

edit: This has not happened to any of the members of our clan, I have only seen this happen to 3 players on our server in the past 2 months even with taking multiple screenshots of everyone in the server at once.

EvenBalance have been on this issue for quite a while now but haven't found a working solution yet. The fact that they double is that when it can't take a new PBSS, it grabs the data from a previous one (of the same player). All you can do is pray for them to find a solution.

Ok, I will be anxiously awaiting a fix, hopefully this can be resolved soon.

Don't hold your breath. It hasn't been fixed in over two years so it is unlikely that it will get fixed anytime soon.

Our server in it's over 5 years of existence has only seen this issue arise in the past two months and only to 5 players (who all happen to be new to our server), That's why I do not believe that it is just mere coincidence, I honestly believe the cheat coders have found a way to utilize this bad judgment in caching images to there advantage.

Be that as a it may but there are many bugs in battlefield and the PBSS system that I have not witnessed myself but that doesn't automatically make them hacks. Simple fact is, it is a known bug, it isn't bannable and like roadie said the screenshot system hasn't been updated for years and it's highly unlikely that it will be.

oh, I am not saying that the bugs are hacks, just saying that the cheat coders are most likely taking advantage of the bugs in the screenshot system.

this advantage was random at best. imo caching of pbss was introduced to reduce the "omg black pbss" whine in the first place, so admins will get a cached instead of a black ss :P

• Upvote 1

this advantage was random at best. imo caching of pbss was introduced to reduce the "omg black pbss" whine in the first place, so admins will get a cached instead of a black ss :P

+1

bottom line is that a repeated cached (or black)SS still does not prove a cheat

I never said it did, but the flaws are being taken advantage of so they can cheat. Screenshots are no longer a viable resolution to catch cheaters and is a useless product due to it.

Not to sound negative in any manner, but 51 in a month out of 149,000+ users that are on just two of the sites.

But anyways, the original ban was due to information I received 2nd hand from someone on the method used to "clean" screenshots.

The matter has been addressed and resolved on our end, the user is no longer banned as it was only a 90min ban to begin with and our other admins are being informed of this glitch and to only kick/ban for it if the player also seems to be doing other things that would warrant suspicion, just the same way we handle black screens.

• 2 months later...

we have a server rule that if you do not return screenshots you do not play on our server , so we end up with alot of people messaging me asking how to remedy this issue , so far i have got everyones ss's working heres what ive done so far to fix this

step 1 full update of video cards and system board drivers

step 2 full update of punkbuster

step 3 exception- add to firewall for bf2

step 4 set up video card drivers

step 5 riva tuner sometimes helps

step 6 dance around the comp burning incense chanting begging the gods of bf2 to be kind

step 7 turn off antialising its not needed in software and it causes black ss and crash when minimised

thats bout as much as ive done and it minus #6 has alwayse worked so far *fingers crossed*

as for similar screenshots -have you compared the server htm and png hash to make sure its not ss injection?

hope this helps because im certainly no computer guru i may qualify as a script monkey but thats another story :D

feel free to contact me via xfire if need be xfire:ratsaint

Edited by killerwitharustyspoon

I've been doing research into black ss for the clan i was with (aa3), (resigned saturday) still researching as when i did my own pbss i was returning black ss. Have tried all i've found to no avail and posting possible fixes on the website, that have helped some but not others, however, come across this yesterday http://clanbase.ggl.com/doc.php?did=271 that suggests aero in vista / 7 causes black ss, and some people run an aero programme in xp. I havent tried it yet to see if it works. Also come across a hack site (which i didnt bookmark) which explains how to create black ss in xp using an aero programme and windows paint. Whish i bookmarked now for reading here. Hope this helps.

cheers

Joe