getting client rate violation dont know why - help

TALON1973

dont know why i'm getting this as my other pc is working fine.

when i log onto my server and check the cvar lists in console i'm getting 1 violation :-

Punkbuster Client : rate "40000" : mut be between 10000 and 25000 : violation

now i both pc's set-up the same way , apart from the fact one is more powerfull than the other. this is happening on my not so good pc :)

how do i fix that ??? i've not tampered with any setting so can't work it out :huh:

the pc's are not linked in any way..... i just swapped them around

Open your ET config and look for seta rate 40000 or rate 40000 and change it 25000. Another way is to remove this cvar check.

so its not an important check then ?

i've just left it as it was set up by fozzer . which i assume is the basic setting by pbbans :huh:

but that baffles me why its on one pc and not the other

Its not from pbbans. Even if you set rate over 25000 it has no effect. Its not important check but it may help you to get a rid of laggers

Its not from pbbans. Even if you set rate over 25000 it has no effect. Its not important check but it may help you to get a rid of laggers

its not from pbbans ???

hmm never had anything come up ever until i started streaming and had all the cvars installed.

not that i'm complaining, as its caught 1 cheat already :)

our check for rate is 2500-25000

Also:

Servers can be setup to force rate and you probably wouldnt notice anything. So it would cap your rate @ 25000 on connection and do a quick vid_restart like loading map 2 times. If you looked in your etpro folder you may see cvar backups if its enabled in config. They are small text files saying that the rate should be between x and y and any other cvars outside the server settings :)

just for info :P

we don't all play etpro you know ;) mine is an etpub server :P

and i know about the forcecvar thing. i have a drawfoliage setting on radar ;) it's just i havn't got one for rate. which is why i assumed it was a pbbans setting when it was all set-up

whenever i set a server up i put in checks that cater for the majority of players :)

a few years ago the majority were on dial up connections with 56k modems .. in a short space of time there has been a huge shift towards broadband .. so i always set the rate to reflect what would enhance gameplay for the majority of players who connect to a server that i run:

ET specific

Problems with choppy gameplay may be the result of not setting your connection speed when you create your profile. The connection defaults to ISDN, which is a rate of 5000. If your rate is set to something not appropriate for your connection, you'll get lag. If you're playing over a LAN or a DSL or cable modem, your rate should be set to 25000.

pb_sv_cvar rate IN 2500 25000

Players using a setting below 2500 will be very jerky and possibly forcing warping or making themselves very hard to hit. 2500 is the default for 56k modems and really is very low, a 56k modemer should really try 3000 even on a poor 4kps connection to get better gameplay. Maybe more of an issue is scripts setup to change between rate settings, using a low setting while reloading to minimise weakness. 25000 is the upper limit as the Q3 code itself has a cap of 25000. A broad range of rate settings are therefore allowed to cover all those perfectly reasonable while not allowing those which are unnecessary.

Clan-related organisations should consider 3000 at a minimum, or if you would rather have players who have at least an ISDN-equivalent connection, then 5000 should be the lower value, to allow some room for low-quality voice comms. 56k players can play fine (better!) with rate 3000, but on a public you cannot really expect these players to have a clue about changing the default connection settings by opening the console and typing in commands.

Note another possible misuse of the connection settings is to make ping look very bad, in order to demand clanwar takes place on a server where they have an advantage, rather than the one best overall.

at the end of the day its your choice as the server admin .. like i said when setting your server up - edit whatever you want to suit your regular players :P

thanks for that post fozzer ;)

just to clarify... if i get that problem on my other pc ( and ive gone back to my good one and it works perfect , no setting change at all, go figure ) , i type in console :-

but i adjust the 1st one to 5000 if i have a good connection ( adsl ) ?

If you're playing over a LAN or a DSL or cable modem, your rate should be set to 25000.

We got alot of people a few months back suddenly comming in with the 40000 violation...we just changed our setting to pb_sv_cvar rate IN 2500 40000

to check your rate in the console just type "/rate"

to change the rate type "/rate 25000" (or whatever number you want)

Read here for other interesting tidbits about cvars and such:CLICK HERE!!

thanks for that post fozzer ;)

just to clarify... if i get that problem on my other pc ( and ive gone back to my good one and it works perfect , no setting change at all, go figure ) , i type in console :-

but i adjust the 1st one to 5000 if i have a good connection ( adsl ) ?

if you have a decent adsl connection the correct rate setting is 25000 .. either select the correct connection details in the game profile options(options/system/networking), or when you join the server bring down the console and type /rate 25000

you will notice the vast improvement in gameplay immediately :)

25000 is the upper limit as the Q3 code itself has a cap of 25000.

if you're going to change your rate to 25000 make sure to also change your cl_maxpackets to 100 and snaps to 40. you will get better fps and alot less lag