Soldier of Fortune: Pay Back

MaydaX

Update: An Activision representative has confirmed to Shacknews that Soldier of Fortune: Pay Back is currently in developement and will be published by Activision's Minneapolis office.

Original Story: A third entry in Raven Software's first person shooter series Soldier of Fortune may be headed to PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC this fall, according to recent retailer listings. Said listings indicate a November 7, 2007 release, though such projected release dates are notoriously inaccurate prior to official publisher confirmation.

Known for its implementation of the GHOUL rendering system, which allowed for unusually detailed enemy hit models, the original Soldier of Fortune was developed by Raven Software, published by Activision, and released on PC in early 2000. Console ports of the first entry followed in 2001, with the PlayStation 2 version handled by Pipe Dream Interactive and published by Majesco, whereas developer Runecraft paired with publisher Crave Entertainment for the Dreamcast iteration.

Raven Software's 2002 sequel Solider of Fortune II: Double Helix featured an enhanced version of the GHOUL rendering system, codenamed GHOUL 2.0, and initially appeared on both PC, with the 2003 Xbox edition ported by Gratuitous Games. Both were published by Activision.

While nothing is confirmed, it is assumed that a revamped Soldier of Fortune would continue the series' penchant for graphic and realistic violence. Shacknews has contacted Activision for more information.

Source http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/47639

Interesting ... Also listed on EB Games and Gamestop for a Nov 13, 2007 release

Dont be suprised if this turns out to be complete bollox. Last time and the time before that over 2yrs ago this was 'announced' the same thing as this, All these sites having it on pre-order just because somone said this somone said that. Now, diddly dee here we go again lol.

like ace said dont be surprised if this is just rumours.

the 2 retailers taking preorders are the same company (merged a year or so ago) and gamestop was the same company that took preorders on the strength of a april fools joke a few years back.

some site have quoted kenn hoekstra formally of raven who commented on blue news about it not being developed by raven but it is in development.

i emailed him and his comments were based entirley on the shack news article and he knows as much as the rest of us.

the only credible source that is now saying they have it confirmed (that it is in development and thats all) is the ign network, for those who dont know ign are part of planet soldier and gamespy.

please do not place a preorder for this game until activision confirm it.

only time will tell.

Edited by goody

Even if IGN announces I would still wait for the release by Raven or Activision for the simple fact this wasnt the first time this hoax was pulled and the game was on preorder with the same 2 websites

Totally agree Maester. The IGN article is only on there .uk site and is not network wide. Which suggests its being buried incase it is a hoax while still being on there network incase it isnt.

Tnx for the heads up Maydax but as others have said it's likely to be a hoax. I hope it is true but won't be holding my breath.

• 1 month later...

According to here:

http://www.sofpayback.com/news.php

Wrong engine...

As previously published, it was suggested that SoF: PB would be developed using the Doom3 Engine. These rumors have now been squashed, and it has come to light that Mullins will return in all his blazing glory running a certain "Unreal Engine 3.0" under the hood. Activision has indeed licensed the rights to use the Unreal Engine for Pay Back.

one...two......three?!

Many have speculated that the third game in the Soldier of Fortune series would not be a sequal, these beliefs were based upon the fact that there was no "3" in the confirmed name for Pay Back. We have now just found out that Pay Back WILL be a sequel to the second game in the series: Double Helix! (Ofcourse the name will stay: Soldier of Fortune: Pay Back)

Stay tuned guys 8)

To me this sounds fairly concrete that this isn't just a rumor.

Not sure about the credibility of the site, but I was able to find that a license to the unreal engine 3 is estimated to cost over $700,000 USD (Source: devmaster.net) . So if they did buy a license I would imagine they defiantly have it in development, or Activision has very bad managers, one of the two.

Edited by Yourself4

• 1 month later...

As previously published, it was suggested that SoF: PB would be developed using the Doom3 Engine. These rumors have now been squashed, and it has come to light that Mullins will return in all his blazing glory running a certain "Unreal Engine 3.0" under the hood. Activision has indeed licensed the rights to use the Unreal Engine for Pay Back.

one...two......three?!

Many have speculated that the third game in the Soldier of Fortune series would not be a sequal, these beliefs were based upon the fact that there was no "3" in the confirmed name for Pay Back. We have now just found out that Pay Back WILL be a sequel to the second game in the series: Double Helix! (Ofcourse the name will stay: Soldier of Fortune: Pay Back)

Stay tuned guys 8)

Check out the recommended (not minimum) requirements for unreal2007 and you will be in the ballpark.

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/technology/ue30.shtml

http://www.sof3payback.com

http://sofpayback.com/news.php

Downloading the unreal2007Runtime demo

Download: http://udn.epicgames.com/Files/UE2/R...62001_Demo.exe (14.9 MBytes; 15,218,176 bytes)

If downloading through your web browser, it will likely ask you what it should do with the file. Click Save File or Save this program to disk, note the location where you're saving it to, and click OK.

Edited by .:EvL:.RedKilla

• 3 weeks later...

While not exactly a secret -- especially after last week's leak -- today Activision made it official and confirmed Soldier of Fortune Payback (a.k.a. SoF3) as a PC, 360 and PS3 game shipping next month. Conveniently, we also uncovered the first details and high-resolution assets for the game. At first glance, Payback looks to be an up-to-date version of the early-2000 Soldier of Fortune titles -- you play a mercenary "blasting their way through high intensity combat situations in the world's most dangerous hotspots in the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe," according to a press sheet.

Soldier of Fortune: Payback 'Debut' HD

We can but hope that PB support is finally withdrawn for sof2 :P and payback includes PB.

This will give the game a fresh start and finally put an end to all those skins/mods/pk3's etc etc that helped kill off a fairly decent fps.

We can but hope that PB support is finally withdrawn for sof2 :P and payback includes PB.

This will give the game a fresh start and finally put an end to all those skins/mods/pk3's etc etc that helped kill off a fairly decent fps.

In some ways I agree fozzer but I can't help but feel that is a bit of a defeatist attitude. If Evenbalance had kept on top of the SOF2 hacks then it wouldn't be in the sorry state it is today :(

In some ways I agree fozzer but I can't help but feel that is a bit of a defeatist attitude. If Evenbalance had kept on top of the SOF2 hacks then it wouldn't be in the sorry state it is today :(

I disagree m8 :)

If sof2 server admins ran pure servers and the proper guidrelax settings, then a lot of bother could have been avoided in the first place, not to mention the attitude of the game devs re security exploits etc.

I disagree m8 :)

If sof2 server admins ran pure servers and the proper guidrelax settings, then a lot of bother could have been avoided in the first place, not to mention the attitude of the game devs re security exploits etc.

Anyone seen this video yet>???

http://cms.kotaku.com.au/mtview.php?path=/...tune:%20payback