Latest PB update kicking players....

RoadWarrior

Running into this one, mostly for service not running, which relates to pnkbstrb not being able to connect.

I've been walking some of my regs through how to update, etc, all night.

Some of them successfully can update with pbupdate.exe, some can't. :(

I've also told them to put a ticket in at evenbalance.com, but this seems a bit of an issue, since it seems about half of the players can't connect to a server without getting kicked. Servers are updated on my end, I connect fine, no errors.

I've even tried sending one of my players my pb folder zipped, and no success.

I know that for one player, it turns out he had to change file permissions to allow the new pb files to run as a service.

I know for myself, no issues updating, and no issues connecting. Guess it'll just be one of those updates everyone's going to have to find a way through, if they've got problems.

i myself didnt have any problems... as i allowed PB at the firewall.

the new update has upgrated the PB software to BF2142/ETQW style.

no more PB starts from in-game, game spacific.

they changed it because of the Vista windows premission problems.

now, there are 2 servicies that have to be ran, PnkBstrA.exe and PnkBstrB.exe

PnkBstrA has to run all the time on your system, even when youre not playing games.

while not playing, its in a "sleep mode" and waits for PB supported game to launch.

when you start a PB supported game, the PnkBstrA will fire up PnkBstrB, and thats the service thats doin all the PB checks.

so you have to allow PnkBstrA.exe and PnkBstrB.exe on your machine thrue programs like anti-virus, firewall, anti-spyware or others alike that can block them.

OK, for bf2 what I did was delete the contents of the pb directory, then use pbsetup.exe or whatever they give you off there website and it updates the issue automatically.

So do as follows.

A) Delete PB file that is located in your Game Directory, just the contents of this file.

B) Download the updater from EvenBalance.

C) Update the PB directory with selecting your game and so.

Works for bf2, unsure of others, I hate going for suppor ttickets cause it takes days on end.

Ran pbsetup and haven't encountered any problems .

Dont think there is any need to delete pb folder contents before it though .

Guess its a bit tricky if you run vista and or norton blockitall wall :o

Only thing i noticed with the new PB services is game lags/fps drops quite often . Although cant confirm if PB is the culprit or my PC is going to the great electronic heaven soon ... Quite a few places on googling claim it is caused by PB update but who knows !? = Prolly Foxdie if anyone :P

PB has always caused some issues with fps/lag since it's inception, especially since the last two or three updates that relate to Vista and the way it handles the files.

That's the price we pay, though, to help keep our servers clean and clear from hackers.

One thing I've noticed, since the latest PB update.... I'm not seeing a lot of busts on my servers via the pbbans.cfg, anyone else noticing this too? My game is ET, btw, but I'm curious if this is similar accross the board or not?

PB has always caused some issues with fps/lag since it's inception, especially since the last two or three updates that relate to Vista and the way it handles the files.

That's the price we pay, though, to help keep our servers clean and clear from hackers.

One thing I've noticed, since the latest PB update.... I'm not seeing a lot of busts on my servers via the pbbans.cfg, anyone else noticing this too? My game is ET, btw, but I'm curious if this is similar accross the board or not?

Just coincidence I would say. :)

Pre streaming your server was pretty much "open house" for cheaters, as the bans flow the cheaters get the message that they aint welcome and go play elsewhere, or remove cheats completely-generate a new pbguid and play honestly, or go play a clanbase match :P

My personal outlook on PB services is that as time goes on PB will improve the way they are run and things will get back to a semblance of normality, I look at this initial phase as the "beta" test.