Even Balance, Inc., Statement on Recent Bans

MaydaX

evenbalance.png

March 25, 2008

We rarely announce anything regarding commercial cheats and hacks. However, we are aware of the numerous "You Tube" type videos and posts on various sites where hackers who sell cheats make claims that are false but sound believable about PunkBuster and hack detection status. We receive numerous emails daily by concerned honest players regarding advertisements for undetectable hacks, etc. The truth is that via recent enhancements to PunkBuster's detection capabilities, we have cracked down hard on cheaters who pay for hacks in the games we support. Some commercial cheat sites have closed down due to our new methods and others have private forums where punks routinely complain about getting caught with the "undetectable" hacks, demanding refunds, etc. We have always maintained a strict policy of not giving money to punks, but thanks to community volunteer moles who have helped us obtain access to private hacks via donations of their time, etc., PunkBuster has been catching hacks from virtually all commercial cheat sites in recent weeks and months.

One of the recent enhancements involves our memory scanner which aggressively scans for patterns included in known cheats (public and private). A commercial hack site where we have had recent success catching their subscribers has recently staged a few demonstrations of inserting text-based patterns via certain chat-related systems such as IRC, Instant Messaging, etc. directly into the memory of computers. These are specific text patterns that we have deployed in some supported games in the recent past. It is clear that many of the demonstrators are cheat-supporters willingly participating in the demonstration, but there is evidence that some innocent players had PunkBuster violations triggered during the past few days by the hackers who sent specific text patterns into the chat programs that were open during gameplay. We are removing these text based patterns from our system and encourage admins to not ban for PB violations that occurred during the past few days.

Online gamers who play with other programs running should always enable security features in their messaging and chat programs to deny auto-download of files and only accept downloads from people they know and trust. As always, from PunkBuster's standpoint, if a known cheat pattern is in the memory of the computer during gameplay, then a violation will be triggered. We have always suggested closing other programs while you are playing multiplayer games on PunkBuster servers and that remains the safest policy. Leagues that require chat room usage for competitive play should take steps to ensure that only league participants have access and suspicious activity should be reported to us when there are concerns about manipulating the system.

Source http://www.evenbalance.com/

Hello,

This isn't exactly true.. There has been an undetected aimbot and wallhack for some time now. PunkBuster has to be aware of it as I've emailed them numerous times myself but never got a reply. I guess they can't or just are not worried about stopping the undected cheat.

Chris

Hello,

This isn't exactly true.. There has been an undetected aimbot and wallhack for some time now. PunkBuster has to be aware of it as I've emailed them numerous times myself but never got a reply. I guess they can't or just are not worried about stopping the undected cheat.

Chris

Forward a copy to [email protected] and a copy to submitot4.png for checks to be added to the Master Configs Index for streaming servers.

I agree with spindiggy. At the moment we are tracking some players that we know are cheating and have not been caught yet. Those were too cocky and exposed themselves on our server. This is why we also joined PBBans recently. We noticed some very unusual gameplay over the last 2/3 month and scores, kill/death ratios became unusual high in BF2142.

Also i noticed that normal gameplay comes back, however my "gut" feeling tells me that punkbuster discovered just a tip of the ice berg...

What happened about the idea that a guid ban was linked to the serial number of your cpu (and /or mac address) by the way?

kind regards, eric

Edited by Eric_Everhard

Hello,

Chris

Agree...just caught one lamer from other clans server... obvious autoaim and walhack. Already send demo to them..and they have streaming on Punkbusted...so..no use here. Player was bad..even with that cheat on...and spotted him right away...

Wildy

NB: Think they trying to catch lamers, but they are always ahead a bit.

Edited by WildFinn

Hello,

Chris

Just as a point of information Bro :)

There will always be undetected cheats out there, the thing to remember is that by general rule of thumb, they do not stay undetected for long.

Anti cheat is all about reaction.

If there were no cheats there would be no need for any reaction, so all we can do is try to keep on top of things as much as is humanly possible.

PBBans employs a high tech streaming initiative that helps immensely on detecting the "undetectable" but the cat and mouse game of cheaters v anti cheat shows no sign of slowing down and I would expect things to carry on in the same vein for as long as there is online multiplayer gaming servers.

Just as a point of information Bro :)

There will always be undetected cheats out there, the thing to remember is that by general rule of thumb, they do not stay undetected for long.

Anti cheat is all about reaction.

If there were no cheats there would be no need for any reaction, so all we can do is try to keep on top of things as much as is humanly possible.

PBBans employs a high tech streaming initiative that helps immensely on detecting the "undetectable" but the cat and mouse game of cheaters v anti cheat shows no sign of slowing down and I would expect things to carry on in the same vein for as long as there is online multiplayer gaming servers.

Well said Fozz...seen you many years on certain game with men in black..and really miss those JOLT days..

Wildy aka yber noob :lol:

Well said Fozz...seen you many years on certain game with men in black..and really miss those JOLT days..

Wildy aka yber noob :lol:

I dont think there will be another community that was spawned from players who played one map that lasts as long as the one we were part of Wild :)

The servers still there but it seems the playerbase has moved on :(

Hello,

There has been an undetected aimbot and wallhack for some time now. PunkBuster has to be aware of it as I've emailed them numerous times myself but never got a reply. I guess they can't or just are not worried about stopping the undected cheat.

Chris

I forgot to add :P

If you are aware of an undetected cheat that is floating about, as well as mailing it to [email protected] you can also PM Benway

Dont forget, along with streaming comes a lot of cvar / md5 scans that compliment standard PunkBuster software and detect a lot more.

You forget remove E.T. violation #59019 & 59020 of march 26 :(

Why ? :blink:

I send all facts to Benway & EB, i (all french E.T community) dont understand ... why don't is remove !

PBBans has not "forgot" to remove any false positives. We have always stated that PB violations above 50000 are issued by EvenBalance. EB has not confirmed to PBBans that the two violations you listed above are "false" positives.

is really false positive !

This violation is with pictures (with cheat signatures by nC) posted on our forum. :(

After reading PB statement I don't believe a word of it. If you want proof look no futher the our SS sectoins. Although most here are steaming, a lot of servers are not and we see everyday that people run charms and aimbot. In a live PB server, sure PB will get them soon than later but, as time has proven it's most of the time later than sooner.

As stated by punkbuster sometime ago when I myself turn in a hacker with PB ss they don't take PB ss as proof. Tis a sad day when anyone just depends on PB.

http://img1.putfile.com/main/11/31512340496.jpg

As for YouTube, well again proof is in the pudding. It's not pretending like they have a hack, it is someone running a hack in a PB server. Thus, makiing Pb look bad hence the statement above. This is just what I think.

Edited by OPTIMUSPRIME

After reading PB statement I don't believe a word of it. If you want proof look no futher the our SS sectoins. Although most here are steaming, a lot of servers are not and we see everyday that people run charms and aimbot. In a live PB server, sure PB will get them soon than later but, as time has proven it's most of the time later than sooner.

As stated by punkbuster sometime ago when I myself turn in a hacker with PB ss they don't take PB ss as proof. Tis a sad day when anyone just depends on PB.

http://img1.putfile.com/main/11/31512340496.jpg

As for YouTube, well again proof is in the pudding. It's not pretending like they have a hack, it is someone running a hack in a PB server. Thus, makiing Pb look bad hence the statement above. This is just what I think.

We know why the statement was released, and its got nothing to do with some llama posting on youtube.

The pbss facility incorporated into PB software is just like a cvar / md5 scan, additional tools to help server admins determine if a cheat is in use etc etc.

Do not forget that even for detected aimbot / wallhack / multihack etc etc PB only issues a 2 minute kick (default) and it's up to proactive admins / anti cheat sites to issue a ban based on bannable violation kicks.

The only bans issued directly by EvenBalance are global guid / hardware bans, so I fail to see why anybody, especially an experienced server admin, would feel aggrieved at PB for not accepting a pbss as proof in the hope of a ban issue.

In this day and age, streaming is a neccessity for keeping a server as cheat free as possible, if only to keep abreast of newly released cheats, and the relevant scans to detect them.

Proof of the pudding, take a peek at the banlist's.

Last time I checked, enabling PB was not mandatory, try running a server without PB for a week or so and see how it goes :P

The pbss facility incorporated into PB software is just like a cvar / md5 scan, additional tools to help server admins determine if a cheat is in use etc etc.

Do not forget that even for detected aimbot / wallhack / multihack etc etc PB only issues a 2 minute kick (default) and it's up to proactive admins / anti cheat sites to issue a ban based on bannable violation kicks.

That being said Fozzer,

I would like to see a hard line stand on some of these guys. You make some great points in your post. The one I find kinda of lacking heart (not on your part but PB's) is a 2 min kick for cheating. To me this should be a GHB (Global Hardware Ban) or 3 times and then GHB. That would put a stop or a least make the hackers think about D/L'ing a program if they know they will be removed for good. I mean lets face it, it's all about money. We see SS's everyday someone cheating 100% guilty running charms/acid skin/aim bots etc etc. yet, what's going to happen to them, "nuts" they can't play on a streaming server.. :blink: I'm not knocking PBbans or PsB god bless them for all their great work, but let's say theres 10,000 servers for COD 4 how many are streaming to Psb, PBBANS, or AON they all stream to PB.Seems like the punishment isn't fitting the crime. (only using cod 4 because seems to be the hot game right now)

As for streaming facts here's what I pulled up PsB
Call of Duty 4
servers
streaming &
PBbans COD 4 1,862 servers streaming. I did an Xfire query (yes I know is not a 100%, but close nuff) I hit 10,347 minus out the factors hackers still have 5,606 servers to play without any of them using updated ban list from sites like PbBans and PsB or AON. So the pudding still not looking so good to me. Now that's if someone where dual streaming what if someone is only using one service than the % goes down.. Pb should step up to the plate and start laying the hammer down on these hacks. IMO.

The only bans issued directly by Even Balance are global guid / hardware bans, so I fail to see why anybody, especially an experienced server admin, would feel aggrieved at PB for not accepting a pbss as proof in the hope of a ban issue.

I really don't see why they wouldn't, maybe I'm not seeing what you mean here. I showed them this yet, PB nor EA would do anything to said player one would say talk to the other and vise versa. What was the most disappointing to see a hacker keep playing while nothing happened to him. He was put on PsB ban list , but not PBbans so therefore by numbers alone he still had plenty of servers to pick from. Unless someone is cubed streaming PBBans, PsB, and Aon then the % goes down further and further, and less likely to be caught. Because when PB updates it does it in sweeps. Seems to be less and less.

murder2dh3.th.png

As for not running pb, just look at the SS above see how well it's working.. ;) the guy played for almost a year like this he just got a new guid and keep on playing. That's what I would like to see some GHB put on cheaters. I thought EB was Punk buster? I mean they are PB right, yet they don't take any SS of there on program? There are way to check to make sure the SS is not tampered with. From what' I've seen from my on experience with Pb all they doe is depend on Emails and a program. Other then that you will get nothing from them, as for experienced server admins how many players have that kinda of time to set up there servers for all the above stated PsB, PBBans, or AON? It does takes some exp. with FTP or auto MBL's that's a lot ask for some people. Mostly it's clans that do that stuff what about the guy who plays for fun? Which makes up a large % of players what about them? What do they do? (I would think they depend on PB to keep things clean)

Lastly, as for the banlist don't we do most of that work? I mean we review the SS's right and vote on them. Then the admins here pass the info on to PB right? (Please correct me if I'm wrong) So don't we help them? Fozzer you make some great points in your post m8 I just going by what I've seen and dealt with from my own exp. I see your point as well, I know with out Pb, it would be like playing CS in the old days guys flying around pwning everyone. Sometimes I feel that way now.

Edited by OPTIMUSPRIME

We could probably debate things all day :)

Not everyone agrees with a zero tolerance / hardline stance.

For what its worth I have been an advocate of a hardline stance, especially in free games, for years.

We have to work within the constraints that the game devs & PB impose upon us.

The best we can offer is a high tech streaming initiative that is freely available to anyone that does not appear on our MBI.(even if you stream to another anti cheat site, this option is still freely available)

A comprehensive list of cvar / md5 cheat related scans that pertain to every PB supported game genre, that are updated on a regular basis.

A trustworthy banlist were every ban is backed up by "live" streamed evidence.

Hopefully, thats enough for admins who do not stream, to at least consider the option.

In this day and age relying on standalone PB software to keep a game server cheat free is not enough.

Streaming is a neccessity and not a luxury.

We could probably debate things all day :)

Not everyone agrees with a zero tolerance / hardline stance.

For what its worth I have been an advocate of a hardline stance, especially in free games, for years.

We have to work within the constraints that the game devs & PB impose upon us.

The best we can offer is a high tech streaming initiative that is freely available to anyone that does not appear on our MBI.(even if you stream to another anti cheat site, this option is still freely available)

A comprehensive list of cvar / md5 cheat related scans that pertain to every PB supported game genre, that are updated on a regular basis.

A trustworthy banlist were every ban is backed up by "live" streamed evidence.

Hopefully, thats enough for admins who do not stream, to at least consider the option.

In this day and age relying on standalone PB software to keep a game server cheat free is not enough.

Streaming is a neccessity and not a luxury.

Hear hear m8 well said! I just hope others come here and start streaming. We speard the good word about all the AC sites so the option is there for anyone wanting it. The thing is with PBBans, PsB or AON we can come here and debate what we think. With PB you don't have that choice, maybe you should work for PB Fozzer seem like a good bloke to me bro!!! :lol: ;)

Edited by OPTIMUSPRIME

fozzer, you talk with Benway about my e-mail ? <_<

We have +- 10 mate with false positive for march 26 en ... the french community wait !

Here are 2 exemples:

- balloo

- another

If you do not remove these bans for players that a whole community knows that they are clean. How you want that they take to us (you) seriously when we denounce the cheaters and what we ask for the application of the zero tolerance ?

What can I say guys :mellow:

Have your players opened a troubleticket with EvenBalance and lodged an appeal @ PBBans ?

We have opened up the appeal system to include #50000 violations and above, but they must include a TroubleTicket link.

http://www.pbbans.com/appeal_ban.php

Usual rules apply;

Tell them as much about why the ban was generated that you can, and make sure you ask the question directly;

"Is this PB software violation valid or not valid ?"

I can only reitterate what I have said already, we have to work within the constraints of a system that the game dev's & PB impose upon us, and I will admit, that at times it's like wading in mud.

Hopefully the support staff at EB will make clearing up bans generated within a specific timeframe a priority, but please bear in mind that the huge influx of tickets might cause a delay in the normal response time.

RodeoBob has already stated;

PBBans has not "forgot" to remove any false positives. We have always stated that PB violations above 50000 are issued by EvenBalance. EB has not confirmed to PBBans that the two violations you listed above are "false" positives.

Confirmation can come from only one source, and as soon as "false positives" are identified they will be removed from our systems asap.

fozzer, you talk with Benway about my e-mail ? <_>

We have +- 10 mate with false positive for march 26 en ... the french community wait !

Here are 2 exemples:

- balloo

- another

If you do not remove these bans for players that a whole community knows that they are clean. How you want that they take to us (you) seriously when we denounce the cheaters and what we ask for the application of the zero tolerance ?

teXou, can you please inform them to appeal their bans (here, appeal link from their bans) again?

the appeals are deleted or gone somehow i dunno :?

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank Benway for your answer, I announce it to them via our forum. :)

Edit:

Thank you!

I receve information as which, the appeals are in good ways and considered.

Thank you for the part of the E.T french community :D

Edited by teXou

• 2 months later...