News Flash

EvilJohn

I see some threads in a Anti-Cheat site about punkbuster AKA evenbalance being broken. LOL again. I wonder how many server admins read the manual at evenbalance associated with the game they use. I would venture to say not many. :0 Shocking yes. Many server admins do not have a good understanding of all the nice tools, and features available to them. Punkbuster is still the greatest tool to stop cheats. But sadly its full potenial is not understood, or not used by many that enable it on their servers.

But yet these same admins will kick it, bad mouth it, blame it for all their game server problems. Without it there would not even be a site like this. To say its broken is bogus. To send useless tickets, and some petition to evenbalance is a waste of time.

Why don't you visit evenbalnce today? In fact why don't you look at what the PBUCON is for. I know this will be the 1st time for just about all of you. Please check out the key words on the PBUCON page. Words like "BETA" "SERVER ADMINS"

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbucon.php

Thank You Evenbalance! Keep up the good work!

Edit: Corrected spelling error

Edited by EvilJohn

All I have to do is look at people with a single alias on several hundred GUIDs happily hacking away on a server to know how unbroken PB is. There are still alot of players busted with blatant PBSS that Evenbalance has never banned. PB still works the way it always has, slow and occassionally. Thats not good enough for admins who are watching players commander hack, aimbotting, crashing the server and emptying servers by ruining everyones fun. By that standard, PB is broken.

All I have to do is look at people with a single alias on several hundred GUIDs happily hacking away on a server to know how unbroken PB is. There are still alot of players busted with blatant PBSS that Evenbalance has never banned. PB still works the way it always has, slow and occassionally. Thats not good enough for admins who are watching players commander hack, aimbotting, crashing the server and emptying servers by ruining everyones fun. By that standard, PB is broken.

Crashing the servers is not Evenbalances fault, its been stated time and time again that It is EAs fault. PB will only update when he has a hack in their hands: They do not go out and buy private hacks.

Yes I would appreciate it if EB gave out more hardware bans but I dont beleive that is going to happen.

EB may not be at fault for this injection HOWEVER it is possible for EB to add the same checks and security that are added for the client. Although that would require a full rewrite it doesn't seem feasible.

YEAH WELL EA WE WONT GO THERE NOW WILL We LOL !.

the word ussless comes to mind

If EvenBalance spent all their time patching gaming company's broken games, they'd never stay on top of what's really important.

Just as an FYI, EvenBalance is contracted by said-gaming companies to provide anti-cheat support, not patch the game's exploits or other deficiencies.

EA has taken their sweet time patching this....the game is how old now?

EvenBalance does a damned fine job of the work they were contracted to do. They are not the answer for the various game manufacturer's faults, short-comings, or any other deficiencies related directly to the game manufacturer.

Sadly, though, many seem to blame EvenBalance for everything, due to lack of understanding that fact, or perhaps due to personal reasons, I don't know.

Time to stop blaming EvenBalance for EA Game's short-comings, my friend, and move on.

EB will never ban a PBSS, PBSS is made for server admins visual detections, and only that.

PB software works on reaction when a detection is made, and afaik never been meant to work any other way either.

In other words it have to know what it is looking for. So yes, many see that as slow.

When referring to crashing servers, that is not an PB software issue at all, that one you have to bring to EA and DICE ;)

For PB and what it is meant to do, it is not broken, but by the last incident and what is indeed needed in 2008 it sure needs an overhaul.

In other words, I think and hope, EB will develop or recode software soon to meet the new requirements needed.

Then again EB need to see this as needed for their own sake and reputation, and not what the game devs pay them in the first place when integrating PB to their games. We can only sit and watch what will happen, unfortunately...

Well said hugin,

I have been trying to get EB to create a new system since 2006. It is working as designed, but is lagging behind in keeping up with technology. Don't get me wrong. I love PB and all it does. I just feel it is becoming a bit outdated.

Pb is the leader by far and if they plan to stay that way in the future they need to start looking at a new design of the program, how it interacts with the server and what information can be encrypted at the server and the source level.

They have brilliant minds over there. I know they are trying to use the KISS theory (keep it simple stupid), but it's not a simple fix anymore.

They have already made to where you can't really update from the server anymore if you are a player, you must use pbsetup or get kicked from an updated server. Now that they have trained us to use pbsetup instead of relying on an auto-update the door is open to develop something new and let pbsetup install it for us.

By the way, this isn't all PB's fault. Crappy coding of the games we buy contributes to half of our problems as admins and players. Porting from console to PC without addin protection for such things as glitching and hacking. Glitching and hacking should be repaired on the game side and not by an anti-cheat company like Evenbalance. Some companies like Activision and EA have actually come to rely on EB to fix their problems after release. This is a BS policy and a slap in the face to all who purchased their games. They set a timeline and budget to develop the game, distribute it and when that budget is up they move on. It becomes a problem getting fixes after that. They usually budget for one or two patches and then it over until pusch come to shove. EA is trying to save face by pushing back the new patch to using the excuse they want to fix the newest problems. Guess what, you knew this was a problem a year ago so what is the real excuse?

Disable it then on all your servers. Why use it?