Locked names - Restricting Names on your server

5chaap2k

What are Locked Names?

Locked names lets the serveradmin restrict who can use certain nicknames on his/her server

I will use as example in this tutorial my own nickname "|5chaap2k" and "ADMIN", This is not the same as Registerred Tags and is FREE.

Why should i use Locked names?

Mainly two, and both related to lazyness :D

1st - For admin's you don't get people impersonating you on your own servers

2nd - For Casual players or clanmembers you'll know in one sight if it's really them swearing/cursing in your server without the need of checking their PBguids/IP's

What information do I need??

You need the following information of the players u wish to protect by locking their names:

- Ingame name/Alias.

- Punkbuster Guid pb_myguid in console, or just look them up in the MPI4 if you're a Streaming Game Admin

How to setup a server to use it?

If you want to use Locked names on your server, you must edit pbsv.cfg with the following command:

pb_sv_NameLock [GUID] [NAME]

Where u replace [GUID] with your PBguid and [NAME] with the nickname/alias u wish to lock to it. Example of my namelocks (guids are fictional):

// Locked names on this server
pb_sv_namelock a211387836de22f472f488f436f329ba |5chaap2k
pb_sv_namelock a211387836de22f472f488f436f329ba admin

Save the config, and restart PB (pb_sv_restart) to make it active :)

• 1 month later...

Assuming this is only for games that do not have set registered names?

BF series doesn't allow duplicate names anywhere in the game so the only ones I can see working would be admin (as clan tag) for example.

Would it be possible to have a single clan tag that has multiple guid's assigned to it, that would keep clan impersonator out and any new members could just have their guid added?

Assuming this is only for games that do not have set registered names?

BF series doesn't allow duplicate names anywhere in the game so the only ones I can see working would be admin (as clan tag) for example.

Would it be possible to have a single clan tag that has multiple guid's assigned to it, that would keep clan impersonator out and any new members could just have their guid added?

that's only possible if u register the clantag/name at evenbalance :)

Read Kc's link :)

• 5 months later...

i see how its done but how does that work if you have a clan tag, do you have to put the whole name ...ie [clantag]=+=yourname, this is hows ours would be is this right, otherwise if you just put yourname and no clantag it wouldnt work ? many thx

• 7 months later...

Ohhh nice. Thanks ;)

What happens when someone with a different GUID uses the Alias ?

Does it kick them or.. ?

Edited by RAMC

Ohhh nice. Thanks ;)

What happens when someone with a different GUID uses the Alias ?

Does it kick them or.. ?

Ex.

pb_sv_namelock xxxxx hellreturn

If i am not wrong any player with a name of hellreturn would never be able to join u server except u. As soon as he would join with that name server would kick him. He would be kicked within 3 secs or less.

Edited by hellreturn

The one problem with the NameLock function is that I believe it is very specific.

pb_sv_NameLock 1234567890abcdef1234567890abcdef =GG= RocknRoll

>> Nobody can sign in as "=GG= RocknRoll" without that GUID.

>> But someone could still be"=GG=RocknRoll" ( no space )

>> But someone could still be"^1=^7GG^1= ^4RocknRoll"

• 6 months later...
that's only possible if u register the clantag/name at evenbalance :)

Read Kc's link :)

Actually, its only possible because THEY chose to make it only possible if you register with them. When in fact, this should be part of the regular command sets found in PB.

• 7 months later...

Has PB made an update that makes the NameLock command from working anymore. Because in my COD4 1.7 .... this command does'nt work at all. And yes I've set it up right.

And as for "reviving" and old thread, what would you have me/us do? Start a completely redundant topic?

Edited by Raven8884