Global GUID Ban

Bill-

Hi people,

First off, apologies if this is the wrong section and also for posting this here as I'm sure you get a lot of this kind of thread (I've opened an Even Balance support ticket as well) :( But, I've just had the following pop up on my screen:

Punk Buster permanent ban issued on this Game Server for play 'waffles_is_win' ... GLOBAL Punk Buster GUID BAN 9d8518c

Not sure when, how or why it has happened but I'll give all the info I have... Basically, I used to play BF2 and Special Forces years ago with a few friends. I kind of gave it up as I wasn't really ranking up and, to be quite honest, got bored. However, my feelings for the game have recently been rekindled as I found a MOD called 'Forgotten Hope 2', a WW2 modification if you're not familiar with it. I was playing it single player yesterdaywith my younger brother watching and he decided he liked it so went out and bought himself a copy of the BF2 Deluxe edition (need BF2 and an expansion pack to run the MOD).

To the point, however: I have just this minute, for the first time for a few years, logged into my online account and attempted to play on a Forgotten Hope 2 server. After the map loaded, I was instantly shoved back to the main menu with the above message from Punk Buster... Quite shocked, to tell the truth.

I've Googled the error message and was linked here to another similar thread (but dated 2005). Had a read through and followed it to this link, http://www.pbbans.com/globalban.php. That kind-of makes sense, considering I haven't played for donkey's years... But how can someone guess my CDkey? My games were purchased from Amazon.co.uk a few years back so I don't have a receipt... But I do have the two discs and manuals with CDkeys on the back.

What's the best plan of action? Wait until I hear back from Even Balance or try something else -- If the latter, got any suggestions?

Thanks for your time,

B

The bottom of the link you posted explains everything quite well;

PBBans.com nor any other anti-cheat community have any control over global bans or global hardware bans. They are issued directly from EvenBalance and according to what was said in their announcement....WILL NOT BE LIFTED!

If, however, you feel that you were banned in error, please submit a support ticket to EvenBalance

I think I must have missed that bit -- sorry! I was a little confused as to how someone can be using my CDkey and then have the audacity to cheat with it...

Doesn't seem hopeful, judging by that then...

B

More than likely, your PC is not fully protected by any type of Internet Security software. There are a few ways to have your CD-Key stolen though.

1. You bought the CD-Key from a shady retailer.

2. You have viruses, trojans or malware on your PC and your key was stolen that way.

3. You got the game from a friend, or so-called friend, and then you played the game not knowing where it might have came from.

4. Someone came to your place and played the game and copied the CD-Key off the jewel case and took it home and used it for themselves to cheat with or hand out to other websites.

You never know. But, it all depends on the end-user, which is YOU!

You MUST keep your key safe and out of other peoples' hands.

You MUST not buy from a shady place.

You MUST get a very good Internet Security Program and have it installed and updated daily.

You MUST NOT let others play on your PC.

Hi SuperTaz,

Tanks for the reply and good ideas, but...

1. I bought the key from Amazon.co.uk and have had no problems with them, ever.

2. My computer is virus free and pretty much always has been - I do regular OS reinstallations to keep things 'fresh' so I highly doubt it's this. I keep my anti virus right up to date as well as anti spy/adware software.

3. I got the game from Amazon.co.uk ^^

4. No one has come over to mine to use my computer full stop. I keep my game cases in a shelve unit in the corner of my room surrounded by crap (yeah, my room is pretty messy).

None of your ideas seem possible in my case :(

B

Did you buy a used copy off Amazon?

Are you sure you didn't use anything, like a rankhack or such? They often also steal your CD-key.

Last but not least, you're 100% positive you can't play on any PB-enabled server, correct?

Hi Lucky_Fr4gg3r,

Yeah, definitely bought a new copy from Amazon.co.uk came in a nice new wrapper with a security seal on. And I have never cheated in any game (apart from single player Half Life 1... impulse 101 any one?). And also 100% I get that error on any PB server.

Just had a thought, would this ban effect my account on COD WAW and other PB-enabled games?

Cheers,

B

Hey Bill-,

Can you give us your ingame name or guid, so we can take a look at the ban.

The part of the guid in the Punk Buster message is not correct, only 7 characters!!

Just had a thought, would this ban effect my account on COD WAW and other PB-enabled games?

Nope. Your GUID is a hash based on the CD-key you installed the game with. If you're banned on your BF2 GUID (and thus CD-key) it won't affect any other games.

Where would I find the GUID?

Open your console ingame by pushing the tilde ~ key and type in /pb_myguid

The 32-character outcome is your GUID

Hi again, Lucky,

Ahh that's good to know regarding the CDkey/Hash GUID thing -- I suppose I've been able to play COD WAW and other PB games without any problems so it was fairly obvious!

I tried typing /pb_myguid in game but the console says it's the 'wrong syntax'. Without the / it doesn't do anything... Is there something I'm missing?

B

pbguid: 33f0fd37

alias : .:BIA:. waffles_is_win

lastseen: Jul 27, 2007 at 9:23 pm

The pbguid does not appear to be globally banned, make sure you have the correct cd key entered into the game.

Many thanks for checking that fozzer... Do you think an uninstall and reinstal would work -- if not, how does one change one's CDkey? I'm a bit of a noob, if you hadn't noticed!

I see it says last seen July '07, does that mean that someone hasn't used my key?

Thanks again,

B

Many thanks for checking that fozzer... Do you think an uninstall and reinstal would work -- if not, how does one change one's CDkey? I'm a bit of a noob, if you hadn't noticed!

I see it says last seen July '07, does that mean that someone hasn't used my key?

Thanks again,

B

Yep, uninstall and re-install the game and fill in the correct CD-key.

Don't forget to patch with version 1.4.

Your key has indeed not been used since July '07.

It's clean so good luck with it.

Load off my mind! I'll reinstall straight away. I have no idea what key I'm using right now then...

Could something have become corrupted maybe? I've had a bit of Overclocking trouble the past few weeks and still haven't got it completely sorted... Could any HDD corruption caused by that change the value in the registry?

B

Edited because I type badly sometimes...

Edited by Bill-

Thanks again,

B

Not necessarily, it means no one has used your key on a PBBans streaming server since July 2007.

Hi chaps,

Sorry I haven't posted for a while.

I've reinstalled up to the Special Forces version but not v1.4 as I was going to redownload it (just in case).

Unfortunately, however, my graphics card has broken... I use a Geforce 9800GX2 and recently my temperatures have been 110c in games like HL2. So, I decided to take it apart, clean the fan and reapply the TIM. Looks as though I have broken something whilst putting it back together as the fan doesn't work any more and no signal is received from my monitor. I can't really be bothered to try and fix it so am waiting for ATI's RV870 or nVidia's GT300 before I buy a new one.

Even Balance have been kind enough to keep my support ticket open until I'm able to reply with an outcome; I pointed them to this thread and said that it has been suggested that I try reinstalling the game and make sure I use the correct CDkey.

We shall see -- I'll update this thread, providing it's not locked for inactivity, once I've finished isntalling.

Cheers again,

B

I've reinstalled up to the Special Forces version but not v1.4 as I was going to redownload it (just in case).

Unfortunately, however, my graphics card has broken... I use a Geforce 9800GX2 and recently my temperatures have been 110c in games like HL2. So, I decided to take it apart, clean the fan and reapply the TIM. Looks as though I have broken something whilst putting it back together as the fan doesn't work any more and no signal is received from my monitor. I can't really be bothered to try and fix it so am waiting for ATI's RV870 or nVidia's GT300 before I buy a new one.

B

Perhaps a silly question, but are you sure you plugged in the power cable(s) for your GFX-card?

I also cleaned and re-applied paste to my card once, and I shouted at it for 15m before I realized :lol:

Hah, yeah first thing I tried/checked.

The card has 1x 6pin and 1x 8pin power and when both are in the plastic around the plug sockets light up green, which they do, so it's fairly obvious when they aren't. Unfortunately, however, this doesn't mean the card works; it's just a small circuit where by the green LEDs take power directly from the power cables going in and not from the card :(

Good suggestion, though - and normally the right one!

Cheers,

B

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but here's an update!

Haven't been able to do anything because since I bought a cheap replacement HD 4870, my CPU died! LOL... Well, I shouldn't lol because it was an Intel Quad Extreme... ouch, expensivo.

I'm now waiting for pricing to fall on various i7 bits and bobs...

Sorry about this chaps :(

B

• 6 months later...

Hi guys, long time...

Sorry to resurrect this thread again... But I've finally got around to reinstalling the whole game and re-downloaded the patches from the EA site and it's still staying that there's a global ban on my ID.

Definitely put the correct CDkeys in; checked, double chcked & triple checked!

If anyone looks at my particular PB account/cdkey/whatever (still don't understand this), you'll probably see a completely different IP as I've changed ISPs...

Either way, is there anything that can be done?

Cheers

B :(

EDIT: I'm currently waiting to hear back from the EvenBalance chaps to see what they can/are willing to do...

Edited by Bill-

Thanks for the reply, mate...

And ahh, I think I may have missed out a number in my OP :o The kick message shows 9d80518c as the GUID now... And pb_mygui & pb_list still don't work :(

B