[COD MW2] No dedicated servers or PB

HSMagnet

Looks like what I had but a little worse.

:popcorn_cat:

Man... before anyone dares to watch that video, make sure you mute it! Terrible terrible music to go w/ it. Makes me wanna listen to Cotton Eye Joe instead.

So about 7 minutes of waiting and still no game. Nothing like sitting around twiddlin' yer thumbs waiting for a game to start when anyone can just jump onto a random server and get into the action right away. To IW's credit. It is easier to get into a game. What they didn't tell you is what kind: the Waiting Game. Round 1: IDLE!

Just wait till the game is a year old, and the bulk of the players have moved onto something else. If you think it's tough to get into a game now.... it will be nearly impossible after everyone gets tired of the waiting around to connect. I'd have to wager this game has a 6 month or less shelf-life, as an optimist.

Just wait till the game is a year old, and the bulk of the players have moved onto something else. If you think it's tough to get into a game now.... it will be nearly impossible after everyone gets tired of the waiting around to connect. I'd have to wager this game has a 6 month or less shelf-life, as an optimist.

That's exactly what Activision want... everyone will be chomping at the bit to buy the next COD game B)

At least then we had the pleasure of hearing game loading.

All this time I thought that was just the squeal of the modem trying to connect, sitting beside me.....man, don't miss those days. :eek:

Hehehe.

Sounds to me like the "good ol times" playing games on C64 or Amstrad CPC 464 with Datasette where you always had to wait 5-10 mins before the game was actually loaded. :D

At least you know you'll be in a game once it's loaded. There's a guarantee on that front. :)

All this time I thought that was just the squeal of the modem trying to connect, sitting beside me.....man, don't miss those days. :eek:

I suppose technically it would just be called a dem ;)

I loved that ... the fast loading carts took away all the fun.

So I was at GameStop/EBGames at the local mall today. I figure I'd put in a pre-order for Bad Company 2. The guy there immediately recognized the type of player that I am, a person who wants their dedicated servers. He mentioned that he couldn't believe they did that. And I referred him to World in Conflict, where the the idea and goal that IW wanted can be implemented still with dedicated servers in place. It does work. It can work.

It really puts a smile on my face that he is a supporter of dedicated servers. Something like that really wasn't on my mind when I was there to pre-order.

I have a feeling that once the Christmas season is over, this game will fall by the way like the tickle-me-elmo doll did. Big hype, lots of ppl clamoring to get it, and in the end, only to find out it's not all it's cracked up to be.

The title was Modern Warfare 2, and Activision paid for both the airfare and the hotel rooms to get publications to cover the game. If you wanted early coverage, this was the only way to get it.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/11/modern-warfare-2-reviews-behind-the-scenes-of-early-access-1.ars

Geez wonder why major review sites gave it such high scores :P

Wrap those lips on the ol' salami... Just like in our gaming group though it means nothing. Our "members" (read that as no longer members) that purchased the MW2 after stating they signed the petition and believed in the game and purchased it anyway. Gaming today will not change and based on what I see will not improve. RW the game will implode in time but not sure how many will fall victim in the process but I guess that is how it is.

IW should take note

Part of what we've learned about that is you have to keep listening to your customers and you have to keep listening to developers, because we're in both businesses: making games for customers and making services for developers.

And, as he told me earlier, it all comes down to listening. "Customers will tell us what they like," he explained. "And they're actually usually far better predictors of success than we ever could be."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/11/valve-listening-to-pc-gamers-frequent-updates-equal-success.ars

I just read that ArsTech article and found it to be quite a good read. I personally do not mind Steam as a service but I kinda wish that there was a better way to manage how we keep our games. I just want to be able to take a game and be able to gift it or remove the game completely from my account. Or perhaps in the case of my friend, be able to take a game that's already linked on one account (for which he has user/pass access to) and bring it over to his primary/main account. I know that there are possible and potential issues with this. But it'd sure go a long way if I can remove a game or gift a game that I no longer want on my account.

On a different note... I stumbled across this:

ATT00001.jpg

• Upvote 2