Homefront PC

MaydaX

BC2 was my last pre-order ever.

:D

Good way to go about it. Think alot of us learned a lesson after that.

As to VAC, its been no better or worse than PB, for our CoD-BO server. As w/ running any server the main thing is having experienced admins on the server to keep an eye on things. Another thing that has been a positive with Steam has been the ingame messaging system. I've been pleasantly supprised by the friend messages, letting me know if there was someone on the server that was "suspect" and deserved a closer look. Many times the player is simply a good player, but other times the player earned a local ban.

I do understand the reluctance felt by many related to VAC. But if Home Front looks like something someone would enjoy, I would not let the anti cheat system used be the deal breaker.

Butt

Oh look yet another game offering unlocks for pre-orders creating possible advantages over other players that don't pre-order. Devs today are clueless about making games that offer an equal playing environment. Guess that explains why they are moving to VAC.

prepurchasehomefrontons.png

http://store.steampowered.com/app/55100/

Also not sure how reliable this is but Wiki lists it as a steamworks game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Steam_titles#Upcoming_titles

Dave: We're doing dedicated servers on all platforms. So that's a great step forward. It's interesting because, on the PC, we're using Steam; on the Xbox, we have Xbox Live and XLSP and this custom solution that we built dating back to Frontlines;

http://totalplaystation.com/ps3/features/9392/

So I think it's safe to say no PB in Homefront.

Not really surprised... And its safe to say I won't be wasting money on yet another game. Sad because even Frontlines with all its bugs was and is a hell of a game. So much potential thrown away for perks and ranks. (Translation: Money.)

And another dev sells out to Xbox

News from @majornelson at the THQ event: All Homefront DLC will come first to X360, and 360 players will have an exclusive map, "Suburbs."

http://twitter.com/#!/SamitSarkar/status/25921403932905472

Xbox Live & @majornelson just announced an exclusive MP map for the 360 audience & the first crack at DLC!

http://twitter.com/#!/HomefrontGame/status/25921170205319169

Feel free to post your favorite GSP here and I'll do my best to reach out to them regarding Homefront's launch.

Can we host servers ourself though?

You'll have to wait a little longer, but there will be some nice news for the PC fans prior to launch. For now, let me know if you have any favorite GSPs in your area so that I can help them out beforehand.

As you all well know there do need to be RSP's to provide the Official Ranked Servers, so please help Edmar out with a list of your favorites here so they can be contacted.

http://community.homefront-game.com/forums/topic/962

yeah i still say it is a bc2 clone with more bling

no thanks

bc2 lacks a lot compared to other games and even older bf games. This game offers a lot more with the exception of destruction.

PC SPECIFIC FEATURES

We thought long and hard about the additional features the PC community would appreciate and expect.

From a gameplay standpoint, we’ve done some additional work on the vehicles. On PC, you’ll be able to control all vehicles from the 1st person cockpit viewpoint as well as 3rd person. We also added additional control options for helicopters, to give those players looking for more sim-like controls something to get their teeth round. There are three settings:

o Ace: Allows for the best maneuverability, but takes the most practice to master.

o Veteran: Balanced difficulty and maneuverability.

o Rookie: Pick-up-and-play level of difficulty, least maneuverable.

We’ve included a Practice Mode so you can get to grips with vehicle controls outside the pressures of a live match. No need in wasting your hard earned Battle Points!

Lastly, we added some extra vehicle abilities for co-pilots, such as a Recon function to the Scout heli, and we obviously support joystick control for all vehicles.

In terms of other gameplay changes - we introduced a Squad Management system for PC, with Squad based VOIP. We also offer Clan Support on PC, and we’ll be tracking more post-match statistics on the PC platform. As stated above, we’re a Steamworks title and we use Valve Anti-Cheat to counter cheaters.

We also feature Multiplayer Match Recording (check out the podcast for more info), and we’ll be releasing a Dedicated Server Browser Executable to allow you set your own private Homefront servers within 2 weeks of launch. LAN support in there as well!

Finally, a few tweaks you’d expect as standard - we optimized the UI to make it more PC / Mouse friendly. We support SLI / Crossfire configurations for extra performance, and we support 3D through NVidia’s 3D Vision if you have the appropriate hardware.

Will a Dedicated Server Executable be provided?

Definitely, we’ve been listening to what the PC audience is looking for and that file will be provided for use. We know it’s been disappearing from the FPS space and want to support the core PC gamer where we can. We need to test the dedicated server infrastructure at ship with the influx of traffic and bug reporting, so we plan to release this within two weeks of the PC title hitting shelves.

Will there be Mod Tools?

Not at launch, no. Right now the team is hammering away at the game, building those tools for Community use would take away resources that are needed on the final game. The good thing is: Mod Tools don’t need to be in a box, so if the PC Community is supporting Homefront, we have the option post-ship to provide the Community with something like that.

What’s with the Microsoft deal, why are they getting the extra map and DLC first? What happened to PC?

We’re trying to release a brand new IP in a really competitive space, and we need as much help as we can get to drive awareness for this game. Microsoft came to us early on, loved what they saw, and offered a ton of marketing support. That support will help lift the profile of all three formats. Having them say; We love the game, it looks great & we want to support it – is also a great morale boost for the studio, and really validates all the effort going into the project.

But this is a business right, and you never get something for nothing! Given the fantastic level of support we’re getting from them, offering an extra map and an exclusive window on DLC in return seemed like the best thing for Homefront

How many players in Multiplayer on PC?

Homefront will support 32 player servers on PC when the game ships. Our large maps actually play best with that number. We found that the critical factor in delivering ‘Large Scale Warfare’ is less to do with having hundreds of players, and more to do with the density of players in each game.

That said, maximum player count on PC is something we can look at and potentially change if the demand is there for it!

Is there environmental destruction?

Only low-level, mostly superficial destruction – why you ask? Our Creative Director, Dave Votypka has this to say about environmental destruction:

In pre-production we experimented with dynamic destruction, but found that this actually detracted from the experience. We use what we call ‘environmental narrative’ throughout our level design to tell the story of occupied USA, and allowing this environment to be destroyed takes away a lot of what we achieve with this. In multiplayer, because of our focus on lots of vehicles with heavy firepower on the map at all times, destruction would remove a lot of the structures we placed there to support the infantry game and help balance that infantry versus vehicle mechanic. For example, in our map ‘Farm’ there’s a wooden church with a belfry that’s perfect for sniping. If we allowed this to be destroyed early in the game, it would remove that tactical option from the map for the rest of the match.

What are the server requirements?

Server requirements are actually pretty low, such that more processing power simply yields the ability to run more servers concurrently.

Will there be Linux Support?

No dice, sorry guys.

What anti-cheat measures are you utilizing?

Valve Anti-cheat is included, as well as a number of other techniques for protecting content, executable code, and game memory.

Will there be any kind of tournament support?

Demo recording support will be available on dedicated and listen servers. Also, automated demo recording upload is possible with some simple scripting. There’sSteam-Group based Clan Support, Player Stats, & Leaderboards.

Will there be Spectator mode?

Yup, via the admin commands.

Are there server admin tools?

Yes, dedicated server tools and RCON.

Will there be Eyefinity Support?

Not initially, but this is something we could add if there is strong demand for it.

Steamworks seems to be the mostly-likely DRM solution for the PC release. Will this mean that Online Pass will not be implemented for the Steam versions of the game?

There will be no online pass for PC Homefront. DRM is something we take very seriously from the end user point of view. While some form of DRM is vital, we want it to affect the user experience as little as possible. Our DRM is Steamworks based, and will require the user to have a Steam client (to which they need to log in during the installation process). Steamworks DRM is the least intrusive that we have seen, and it does not require the user to keep original disks. Since we are also distributing the game via Steam, it is the obvious choice.

There are more details at the following:

http://community.homefront-game.com/blog-post/homefront-pc

From what I understand anyone can host a ranked server when the server files are released within 2 weeks after launch.

Although its not a title I'll be getting (have enough fps atm) but did see a few nice things that I am sure will influence sales for some people sitting on the fence.

"In terms of other gameplay changes - we introduced a Squad Management system for PC, with Squad based VOIP. *snip"

Played Bc2 the other night, and the fuc*ing VOIP still does not work!

"Will there be any kind of tournament support?

Demo recording support will be available on dedicated and listen servers. Also, automated demo recording upload is possible with some simple scripting.

Will there be Spectator mode?

Yup, via the admin commands.

Are there server admin tools?

Yes, dedicated server tools and RCON"

^ hopefully more user friendly than the CoD-BO utility through Steam.

Butt

Edited by buttscratcher

We can officially confirm that Homefront will be a Steamworks title making good use of Valve's excellent toolsets. Steam was simply the best choice to deliver the features we needed on PC. Shameless plug – Homefront is now available to pre-order on Steam right here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/55100/

we'll be releasing a Dedicated Server Browser Executable to allow you set your own private Homefront servers within 2 weeks of launch.

a few tweaks you'd expect as standard - we optimized the UI to make it more PC / Mouse friendly.

Will there be a PC Beta/Demo?

Right now the teams at Kaos Studios & Digital Extremes are working hard on finishing the game at the highest level of quality possible. Of course we'd love to release a public Demo, but this would detract efforts from the main game.

Rest assured, we have conducted a lengthy private Beta on the PC to help us fine tune the game, so any Demo would be for promotional purposes only.

Is there environmental destruction?

Only low-level, mostly superficial destruction

i got tired of copy/pasting the fail....

http://community.homefront-game.com/blog-post/homefront-pc

oh and CS style load-outs?

Conclusion

5 Average Breach is a competent first-person shooter, but that's about it. It doesn't really bring anything to the market that hasn't already been done before and against its competition it really doesn't shine. There are a few maps to play on, and some different game types, but the progression system is rather basic and graphically it doesn't look all that great.

http://www.gamingunion.net/reviews/breach--409.html

Edited by HSMagnet

I bought Breach, spent hours on getting over the crappiness to do with direct x, visual c and dedi hosting, filled my server within 2 minutes and it crashes after 5

Black Ops is looking like a technical marvel compared :D

ukHazard Edited by HSMagnet

Great, dedicated servers and demo recording with nowhere to send the demos for bans. Thanks for choosing VAC.

Local ban.

Better than the BC2 Battle Recorder, yes?

Butt

Great, dedicated servers and demo recording with nowhere to send the demos for bans. Thanks for choosing VAC.

And and to make it worse, we could have banned demos here because they are in both 1st and 3rd person.

- 1st/3rd/ghost

- any players perspective (1st/3rd)

- multiple playback speeds

- if a player is using a drone (etc), the drones POV is used

Also all servers will be ranked and anyone can host them. Stats are done through steamworks like CS Source I assume. And it supports LAN too :)

Shame the only games left using PB won't even come close to the PC feature set that homefront is offering. I hope homefront succeeds and adds competition to the AAA games which have been ignoring the PC gamer in recent years. Least Kaos seems to be listening to what PC gamers want instead of telling them.