Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

buttscratcher

who has server suggestions?

i got spoiled in the F&F beta and the rampant asshats in the DDE beta have me down

looking for ones with admins, where objectives are pursued and asshats are booted

who has server suggestions?

Only 2 UK servers, your ping might be a bit high :P

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/81.19.213.40:7777/

Played here last night, admin are on regularly and the server players seem to play for the objectives.

I also play here:

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/81.19.212.33:7877/

Admins are always on but watch for spawn killing, I had someone do it the other night and admin just laughed it off, I don't like spawn campers so was a bit surprised by the response. If it happens again I'll find another server.

Only 2 UK servers, your ping might be a bit high :P

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/81.19.213.40:7777/

Played here last night, admin are on regularly and the server players seem to play for the objectives.

I also play here:

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/81.19.212.33:7877/

Admins are always on but watch for spawn killing, I had someone do it the other night and admin just laughed it off, I don't like spawn campers so was a bit surprised by the response. If it happens again I'll find another server.

ok, so one server :lol:

i can't abide spawncamping or griefing TKs

ok, so one server :lol:

i can't abide spawncamping or griefing TKs

Played some the other day and the admins were good but the people were in some cases amazing compared to other times I have played. Some spawn killing that was dealt with rather quick and I think some of todays updates to the servers should alleviate some of the more "interesting" folks. I will get some IPs for ya. :)

Played some the other day and the admins were good but the people were in some cases amazing compared to other times I have played. Some spawn killing that was dealt with rather quick and I think some of todays updates to the servers should alleviate some of the more "interesting" folks. I will get some IPs for ya. :)

Yes they do like to play for the objectives on that server, well, unless you're on the losing team then they just like to camp :(

Another huge update out which I downloaded this morning, new maps over the weekend too, woot! :D

I was playing the full release last night, few problems in singleplayer but multiplayer plays fine for me, even better than the beta so very pleased about that.

The devs were right too about working on the game until the last minute, I pre-loaded the game which was just under 8gb and they released a patch for it before it was released and that was 2.6gb, I don't know what they did with that last beta patch but it worked, for me at least :D

AAAhh right ... well ... tempting, but I gonna wait a few weeks to see how it goes in regards dealing with cheats coming up soon. Too many games got hurt recently, so I gonna be really careful which title to play next. Furthermore my eyes got really spoiled by BC2 / BF3 graphics, which makes it hard for new titles to compete. Although graphics are not all - we know ... still hopping back to bf2142 from time to time, and that just because of the multiplayer team gameplay ...

:rolleyes:

A good response from "Kucd" on the BashandSlash forums to people on there that continually rip on RO2 for it being a so-called failed release. I couldn't have said it better myself.

http://bashandslash.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=5087

Wonder if you are talking about me. Here's why I haven't been around much, I'm having a blast playing the game, maybe you should too instead of mentioning the same thing over and over again over your last dozen of posts, that's trolling mate. After all, running out of money can force companies to do silly things, like releasing the game in a terrible condition just so they can keep providing for themselves and their families. Guess there is a lesson to be learned indeed, that indies don't have infinite financial backing I guess and that can reflect badly and terribly on the state of a game release. Or that you should enjoy the game instead of mentioning the same thing over and over again in your posts or making conclusions about the state of a game based on your own misgivings instead of finding out exactly why it was released the way it was. We get it, it was a lousy release, shame you never stopped to ask why exactly that happened.

Me, I'm having a blast. It was a lousy release but running out of money what would you do? It ain't so easy to respond now, is it? Me, despite all the bugs I haven't had this much fun in a MP game in years. And it will only get better from here.

RO2 has bugs but Tripwire is very committed to fixing the game. I got that impression during the beta. Lot of patches, most late at night, on weekends, holidays etc. I can see RO2 lasting for years to come honestly. Hell there have been many PB integration fixes over the last few weeks while BFP4F has been out for months and not a single PB related fix has been released.

It's also nice having server files again which are awesome for debugging problems. I can find bugs easier, faster, send crash dump files and they get fixed faster. As an example the latest server patch replaced the PB client DLLs with outdated versions and caused lag. Wouldn't have found that without access to server files to see what got updated etc.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=887848&postcount=12

And for anyone that remembers BF1942, that was one hell of a buggy game when it came out. Helps when you have 200+ devs and a publisher handling QA vs the ~35 that Tripwire has and they do their own QA as well.

• Upvote 1

It's also nice having server files again which are awesome for debugging problems. I can find bugs easier, faster, send crash dump files and they get fixed faster. As an example the latest server patch replaced the PB client DLLs with outdated versions and caused lag. Wouldn't have found that without access to server files to see what got updated etc.

It's always nice to have server files. I just loaded up the files on my new home server and it runs good. I can now play a LAN with it. All I can say is that Tripwire Interactive has their act together. They have public server files, PB and VAC, a very nice web admin tool, mod tools coming, and great support. :rockon:

I can't say that for all developers though. <_>

• Upvote 1

The game is getting a lot of grief at the moment, the only problem I've had so far is one CTD (last patch but one) but besides that it runs fine for me.

The release could have been better though, I think a lot of it stems from players who were taking part in the beta and then when the game was released some of the bugs that were mentioned are still in the final game.

I'm sure Tripwire are working through everything and I have no doubt the game will get better from now on, some people 'expect' a fix for everything within a few hours/days and that's just not possible.

My only concern is how many players have turned away from the game because of the problems at release.

problems at release are not because they didn't work on it.

i was in the F&F beta before the DDE beta. bug hunting and replication, server stressing, client side issues were a huge priority.

even the DDE beta was a real beta, not a glorified demo

RO2:HoS at release is more playable for me than most recent FPS games

Weekend Update - posted by [TW]Yoshiro @ 10:09AM on September 19, 2011 As you may have noticed, this past saturday you downloaded a patch for RO 2.

The changelog is as follows:

- fixed DDE content being awarded when it should/shouldn't be

- fixed RO1 content being awarded when it should/shouldn't be

- fixed the server browser not responding after disconnecting from a game

- removed MKB/AVT from Squad Leaders/Commanders, only Assault gets it now

And an update released yesterday included an undocumented change:

- improved performance for the Ultra setting

We are working on another patch that will likely come out this evening.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/RO2/announcements/detail/1352427353504718965

looks like damn good support from my view

looks like damn good support from my view

I don't doubt the support, I think we've had 3 patches since release, that's very good but still some players cannot run the game, it either crashes when joining a game or before it even starts up and this is on high spec rigs which are well above the recommended requirements, yes I'm well aware of different hardware configs but the point I'm trying to make is those players won't hang around for long for a game they can't even play and haven't been able to since its release.

Best to join the RO2 steam group at http://steamcommunity.com/games/RO2 to get updates

11:39AM on September 19, 2011

As you may have noticed, this past saturday you downloaded a patch for RO 2.

The changelog is as follows:

- fixed DDE content being awarded when it should/shouldn't be

- fixed RO1 content being awarded when it should/shouldn't be

- fixed the server browser not responding after disconnecting from a game

- removed MKB/AVT from Squad Leaders/Commanders, only Assault gets it now

And an update released yesterday included an undocumented change:

- improved performance for the Ultra setting

We are working on another patch that will likely come out this evening.

Current Players Peak Today Game

50' date='529 62,296 Counter-Strike

44,562 63,496 Counter-Strike: Source

42,472 62,790 Team Fortress 2

24,908 35,188 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer

18,091 28,032 Football Manager 2011

15,724 29,668 Sid Meier's Civilization V

15,330 22,959 Call of Duty Black Ops - Multiplayer

12,756 22,166 Dead Island

7,596 12,497 Left 4 Dead 2

7,246 15,478 Deus Ex - Human Revolution

6,649 12,145 Portal

5,296 5,476 Magicka

4,977 8,624 Empire: Total War

4,612 7,579 Total War SHOGUN 2

4,583 7,634 Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine

4,373 7,366 Red Orchestra 2

4,137 7,693 Battlefield: Bad Company 2

3,697 6,635 Mount&Blade: Warband

3,691 8,123 Terraria

3,650 8,489 Garry's Mod

steam stats http://store.steampowered.com/stats/[/quote']

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=71413

The update from last week is ready and going out today with a couple of additions:

-Initial implementation of demorecording to support clan play and server admins

-Fixed a server crash in garbage collection that would sometimes happen when changing maps

-Fixed an animation bug causing gun sights to become misaligned

-Fixed main menu movie corruption (random green squares) when going to/from fullscreen when the startup movies are playing

-Fixed dynamic shadows for fixed MG's not being visible when deployed

-Drastically reduced occurrences of the "double ironsights" issue

-Fixed exploit where players could hide window curtains, etc. by changing their world texture group lod bias

-Fixed bullet decals being completely black in low texture settings

-Fixed black scope textures on Panzer IV

-Fixed interaction icon showing during transitions to a seat inside a tank

-Fixed object and object material popping when you start or stop sprinting

-Added showing the name of the player you are spectating on the hud

-Testing a new fix for the bug where sound would cut out on map change

Notes on Demo Recording:

First pass implementation of demorecording. This should be considered an "Alpha" implementation, as only certain functionality is hooked up. This early implementation has been created to help support clan play and help server admins finding/catching cheaters. Here is what works/doesn't:

What works:

- Basic server side demo recording: you can record a demo on a server which can be played back on a client. This demo essentially records the net traffic for the gameplay that is sent by the server and then plays it back on the clients. So when the demo is played back on a client you essentially get the same views you would have as if you were spectating a match in real time.

- Third and first person player spectating as well as viewpoint and free roam spectating

- An added "Aiming Info" toggle which will show where the spectated player is looking, and where they are aiming (which with free-aim can be two different places)

- Most sounds play

- Added displaying the specated player's name on the hud. Works with demo recording and standard spectating

What doesn't work or isn't implemented

- Rewinding

- Showing the first person weapon

- Some sounds will not playback in the demo (battlechatter)

- Have not tested with vehicles

- Client side recording

- Have not tested what the maximum length of a demo can be

- Older demos may not work properly with newer builds of the game

- Pretty much anything else

How to use it

- On the server through webadmin or through admin console commands use the command "demorec " to start recording the demo

- When you are done recording the demo through webadmin or through admin console commands use the command "demostop" to stop recording the demo

- In the ROGame\Demos folder you will find your demo files. Copy the demo file(s) to the same location on a client machine

- Start up Red Orchetra 2. At the console type "demoplay " to view the demo

• 2 months later...

Let the old school, old time, fps gaming goodness begin!

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=74296

Modding and map making tools are now available free to everyone that owns Red Orchestra 2! While the limited functionality preview versions of the SDK have been available to select modders for a while, this release now makes the full capabilities of the Mod SDK available to everyone. Other changes in this update include:

General

• Settings menu bug fixes (e.g. Changing Vsync setting now requires a restart)
  • Switching roles/teams while in a tank should now work properly
  • Melee hit detection improvements. For example, it is now possible to hit a prone player with a bayonet while standing.
  • The commanders order marker will now disappear properly when aimed at the sky instead of getting stuck at some location in the map
  • Countdown maps will no longer show the improper amount of manpower when a new player joins during a match in progress

Performance / Stability

• Crash fixes based on .dmp files provided by players
  • Fixed occasional freezing when spawning
  • Updated Punkbuster to address framerate spike
  • Overall performance optimization

------------------------------------------------

SDK: How to use redirects to download custom maps (Modders)

1. Publish your custom map using the publish button in the editor. This will 'cook' twice because the server needs a different version.
  2. Grab the files from Published/CookedPCServer/ and give those to your server admins. Remember to clearly label these as server files.
  3. Grab the files from Published/CookedPC/ and give those to your server admins clearly labelled as client files. You must rename the published map files from .roe to .upk.

SDK: How to use redirects to download custom maps (Server Admins)

1. Place the server content into ROGame/CookedPCServer
  2. Place the client content, removing any sub directories, at an http address. If the client content contains any .roe map they must be renamed to .upk.
  3. Add the following to ROEngine.ini:

[ipDrv.HTTPDownload]

RedirectToURL=http://pathtoyourredirect/

4. Clients will now automatically download the custom content when connecting to your server

• 4 months later...

Rather than start a new thread I'll add it here:

I have 3 guest passes available if anyone wants to try it out and didn't manage to try it on the recent free weekend.