home servers

jimbouk1977

hi without trying to sound faecetious could you tell me why if you run a server from a house its not aloud to stream ?? but if you pay some company to run a server for you you are aloud to stream ?

i only ask as i was streaming a BF2 server unranked but when i ran into a PB problem after a few weeks, i was told i should not be streaming it any way !.

although my server is no different to one in a building owned by multiplay for an example!.

Home servers are not allowed to stream for numerous reasons. Mainly, there are a number of security issues involved that lead us to disallow home run servers from streaming.

If you run your server from a datacenter (i.e. pay a small amount for co-location), then all of the issues are avoided and thus we only allow dedicated boxes hosted in datacenters to stream to us. I hope this clarifies it a bit :)

:( thanks for the quick response how ever i do feel a bit let down now as i can no longer keep this unranked server streaming, ie basicly if i leave it up & runing im saying come in cheat if you like my clan dont care, & i personaly cant stand cheats & i run ENGLISH- caln to those values as well ,this is why i stream to you guys in the first place in the hope i will make people think twice!.

as we admin know cheating in BF is a major pain in the butt but a least we had a little hope that they one day might be caught out by a dodgy PBSS, because as far as i can tell most of these hack sites pride thereselves on being Pb proof!! but now i cant stream said server i cant do that so ive had to shut it down as i dont want hackers / cheats /scumbags on my servers !.

is there away without streaming to run the hack checks & take the PBSS without it streaming to you & manualy updating md5 & cvar myself ??..

your guttedly

jim :(

Edited by jimbouk1977

yes there is and you can also download the ban list to put into your server

configurations can be found here

http://www.pbbans.com/mci-overview-id13.html

Ban list can be found here (I believe you need to change the name to pbbans.dat before you use it)

http://www.pbbans.com/mbi-download-bf2-dlb13.html

thanks guys but how comes i now cant even turn pb on & get it to update this is problem i had when told i sahouldnt be streaming. I've just put bf2ccd on & now it wouldnt update pb using pb_sv_update so ive had to turn PB off ?

as i said before not happy running without pb & also what about ss still be able to get them ?

if i can dp it all amnualy it wouldnt be as bad as first thought but as i said before pbSS is the best way to caTCH THESE PEPS!.

Edited by jimbouk1977

thanks guys but how comes i now cant even turn pb on & get it to update this is problem i had when told i sahouldnt be streaming. I've just put bf2ccd on & now it wouldnt update pb using pb_sv_update so ive had to turn PB off ?

as i said before not happy running without pb & also what about ss still be able to get them ?

if i can dp it all amnualy it wouldnt be as bad as first thought but as i said before pbSS is the best way to caTCH THESE PEPS!.

You might want to check your server setup. If the server is set to allow people to play on the LAN, then PB cannot be enabled. If you disallow LAN connections (no idea how...), then you will be able to use PB.

Our banlist is easily updated manually, and as for the MCI checks - you can still use those as IceMan said, but they would just kick, not ban. :)

Hope this helps :)

; ------------------------------

; PBSS Settings

; ------------------------------

pb_sv_AutoSs 0 //[0=No, 1=Yes (default=0)]

pb_sv_SsFloor 1 //[Low screenshot filename serial #]

pb_sv_SsCeiling 2000 //[High screenshot filename serial #]

pb_sv_AutoSsFrom 300 //[Min # of seconds to wait before requesting next ss]

pb_sv_AutoSsTo 1200 //[Max # of seconds to wait before requesting next ss]

pb_sv_SsCmd "" //[Filename of system command to run after screenshots]

pb_sv_SsWidth 400 //[Requested pixel width of remote screenshots]

pb_sv_SsHeight 204 //[Requested pixel height of remote screenshots]

pb_sv_SsXpct 50 //[Percentage across screen for remote screenshots]

pb_sv_SsYpct 50 //[Percentage down screen for remote screenshots]

pb_sv_SsSrate 1 //[sample Rate for remote screenshots]

pb_sv_SsDelay 0 //[Maximum delay client waits before capturing screenshot]

pb_sv_SsPath "" //[Path where remote screenshots are saved]

pb_sv_ssLogging 3 //[1=Reg. Log, 2=SS Log, 3=Both, 0=Neither]

pb_sv_ssTimeout 300 //[seconds]

and from what i understand your saying... punkbuster is off?

have you tried enabling it this way: rcon pb_sv_enable ?

Thanks for the help not mentioning anybody but at least you guys answered my questions where as when i first asked this on irc to one of your staff they wouldnt ansewr the question at all just wanted to stop me streaming without trying to help me sort the problem!.

thanks i will giive that a go cant remember if i tried pb_sv_enable but i will give it a go and no it just internet not LAN enabled it was working fine untill i put BF2ccd on it !.

i will let you know if im able to sort it if not i will be shuting it down for good as i said b4 i hate hackers/cheats!.

once again thank you for y9our speedy responces & help with this

cheers slitghtly happier

jim :mellow:

P.S. out of intrest how many other admin knew about this not streaming from home servers(not home pc's)

Edited by jimbouk1977

Thanks for the help not mentioning anybody but at least you guys answered my questions where as when i first asked this on irc to one of your staff they wouldnt ansewr the question at all just wanted to stop me streaming without trying to help me sort the problem!.

thanks i will giive that a go cant remember if i tried pb_sv_enable but i will give it a go and no it just internet not LAN enabled it was working fine untill i put BF2ccd on it !.

i will let you know if im able to sort it if not i will be shuting it down for good as i said b4 i hate hackers/cheats!.

once again thank you for y9our speedy responces & help with this

cheers slitghtly happier

jim :mellow:

P.S. out of intrest how many other admin knew about this not streaming from home servers(not home pc's)

Anyone who takes the time to read the PBBans TOS Agreement :P

The ToS was actually the first thing I read when a friend aimed me at this site not so long ago....give or take a year or a bit over, ago.

I had my questions to ask as a noob back then, still have lots to learn, and definitely feel good about being able to help someone in some small way.

Thing is, when-ever you enter a forum of any kind, regardless of what the forum is about, you should read up on their rules first, and then consider posting, or consider actions, such as attempting to stream your home-server.

Rules and regulations are always there for a reason, and were not there to put you in harm's way, but in fact to protect the end-user from harm, as well as to protect the originator of said-forums. In this case, PBBans.

A lot of thought was put into the ToS, to ensure quality, and 100% assurance that the work done here is accurate and meaningful and that it can't be tampered with.

Precisely, the wonderful thing about PBBans, is that bans are not backed up by accusations, or assumptions, but by 100% concrete evidence. It's good for both PBBans, and for the users, even if it may cause some problems because some proof cannot be proved. It's the best way this way, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Anyways, it appears that I'm completely off topic now, and this topic has already been answered lol.

People, always read the ToS's, I once encountered a site where their ToS and Privacy Policy was "when you sign up here, you are giving permission to the owners of the site to steal all your information, and use it in anyway they want", it said it just like that (not in those words, but the same idea). It turns out that I happened to read their ToS AFTER I signed up. <_<

Edited by James78

i wasnt on about the banning policy at all so dont know how or why thats being metioned, i agree with ruels & im dead against people breaking R.O.E. on my servers. How ever i was a little gutted that iam not allowed to stream " A SERVER" run from home run through so many fire walls i get burned each time i go near it & the reason given for not allowing home servers is that there some security risks. ! but as said in this thread theres some dodgy people out there, what guarantee that said dodgy people dont work at these hubs where the dedicated servers are based ?(i.e. work for rakage)

also if i was to charge server rental does that make me a buisness & able to stream ?? or must said servers just not be in a house's full stop & do the comapnys where people rent said servers pay a fee to PB ?

im not trying to be argumentive but just wondering ?

cheers jim ;)

P.S. got the server runnning pb again thanks for the info !.

Edited by jimbouk1977

for 'home servers' just few points out of various others ...

1. screws up MPi database

2. we have no interest to stream yoyo servers - best bet: dynamic IP lasting

3. rest assured cheaters will try to get access to the private areas of the #1 - in terms of cheat detection no doubt - AC site.

Thus we have no interest to make it that easy: just run a GameMP_ded.exe and apply

Precisely, the wonderful thing about PBBans, is that bans are not backed up by accusations, or assumptions, but by 100% concrete evidence.

i once learned this as "admins' basics" and i still see zero space for consideration or "discussion" here - though reading more and more - let me put it: "ban first, get proof later" - discussions, this position appears to be less and less "modern", just don't forget: if 1.000 admins (most w/h any basics, some banhappy, some just paying lamers w/ rcon ;P) try to negotiate bans this leads to nothing, and for me personally this was the point to /quit, bans proven by sure-fire evidence will be devaluated by bans based on ... guesswork

Why not do it simple, accept the terms of free streaming, free online help for PB, PBBans streaming, game help in general. 24/7 visual ban providing with only a few clicks away and the joy and benefit of using this free service?

PBBans Terms of Service Agreement (As of February 3, 2007)

1. Terms & Definitions

1.1 Game Server - A game server shall be defined as a network server running a program that acts as a hub for clients to connect to for the purpose of interaction. For the purposes of clarification, PBBans will only allow streaming from dedicated servers and not from LAN or personal computers.

is this the t&c's you were on about if so as i said before the server is not a home pc its it a network server in a house, it cost lot & lots of

Edited by jimbouk1977

It's the fact that it's located in your house that is the issue. If you were to co-locate it at a known DC, this would ensure not only the security of the server, but also a dedicated IP.

Some food for thought, as well. The average home-user's ISP will simply not provide you with enough bandwidth to successfully run a gameserver from your house. It might be fine for small groups, and anyone located within a few hours of the server, but not much good for anything else. Secondly, in today's world of dynamic IP's, you'll be lucky if you can maintain the same IP for any extended length of time.

Thirdly, as Benway has stated, it screws up the MPi database. By and large, this is due to the fact that all players connecting to a home-based server tend to show up as being on the same IP. For example, if you had 10 players on your server, the MPi would see all 10 of those players as being multiple GUID's with one singular IP. Generally an indication of a key-gen.