PunkBuster coming to Bad Company 2

MaydaX

Dedicated servers aside, users must have access to the console so they can obtain a list of GUID's. Without it, they won't be able to report misbehaving players to server admins. Reporting aliases is worth nothing - Battlefield Heroes is proof enough of that.

Does anyone know if this game is going to have a battlerecorder like the other Battlefield games?

There is no way to send PB client-side commands such as pb_plist. If you need guids, you need access to the server.

And from what I've been reading there is no battle recorder in retail. Not sure if that will be added later.

There is no way to send PB client-side commands such as pb_plist. If you need guids, you need access to the server.

And from what I've been reading there is no battle recorder in retail. Not sure if that will be added later.

Wow, that sux and it's a deal breaker for me in purchasing the game for the simple reason we all know you need a way of reporting the trouble makers in a server as admins can't be expected to be on 24/7.

Realistically, FPS type games attract more idiots and emotionally stunted players than most, so it's paramount users have a way of identifying trouble makers. Without the console and access to the PB client, this is not possible.

I know this won't be popular, but I see BFBC2 as only slightly better than MW2. Bottom line, no console access = FAIL GAME because in the end, idiots will rule with no way of reporting them.

• Upvote 3

I know this won't be popular, but I see BFBC2 as only slightly better than MW2. Bottom line, no console access = FAIL GAME because in the end, idiots will rule with no way of reporting them.

Couldn't a server admin link a nick to the guid by looking at the server logs?

I mean lets say "jack@ss" is making trouble on the server, you tell the admin by posting on their website, wouldn't the admin be able to look up "jack@ss" in the logs and match the guid? Then ban that guid?

Also a little off topic, but wht the hell is the "reputation" thingy under everyones info over to the left?

Just noticed that.

Edited by P0k3r_OF_Sm0t
  • Upvote 1

Couldn't a server admin link a nick to the guid by looking at the server logs?

I mean lets say "jack@ss" is making trouble on the server, you tell the admin by posting on their website, wouldn't the admin be able to look up "jack@ss" in the logs and match the guid? Then ban that guid?

Also a little off topic, but wht the hell is the "reputation" thingy under everyones info over to the left?

Just noticed that.

Yes, an admin can look up the GUID or playername from the logs and ban the player. The reputation is an indication of how the community rates you and your responses in the community - if your not very helpful or + if you are helpful.

Edited by TheHeartSmasher

Agree with the above posts that handling cheats will be very difficult without access to console. We're still 50/50 as whether to run servers or not. Guess we'll see what the game is like at release before we commit.

The reputation is an indication of how the community rates you and your responses in the community - if your not very helpful or + if you are helpful.

The neg rep option was removed so it's all pointless.

• Upvote 1

Yes, they could but what happens when there have been 3 or 4 "jack@ss"'s in the server during the course of a game? A more common nym would be "Player", "Player1" or "Unnamed Player" - you see heaps of those joining and leaving all the time. It makes it next to impossible to identify the correct one unless you have a specific GUID.

Believe me, I've been in a server when 6 twits all decided to use the same nick of a player they wanted banned to disrupt the game play. The player was on at the time so without knowing his GUID, it would have been impossible to send the twits to the time-out bin. By knowing GUID's, you protect innocent players.

The neg rep option was removed so it's all pointless.

Neg rep has caused a couple of rage threads already - and it got abused once. We decided it wasn't really conducive to friendly conversation - as funny as it was to see one of our resident 1 post trolls with -64 rep :lol:

Thats really intresting actually. Are they fixing something by doing this, or cutting corners? As in the lack of client side commands.

I've got to belive (hope) EA will come through w/ some sort of Battle Recorder at some point. There are more reasons its needed than not.

Oh, btw, a late congratz on the positivity from DICE. I am sure your as happy as the rest of us.

• Upvote 1

Thats really intresting actually. Are they fixing something by doing this, or cutting corners? As in the lack of client side commands.

Their official reason was Frostbite never had a developer console which I assume is because it's a console engine ported to PC.

I think BC2 will do OK but it won't be no spectacular game like CoD4 or BF2 back when they came out, mainly do to the lack of features we are all accustomed to in PC games.

I think BC2 will do OK but it won't be no spectacular game like CoD4 or BF2 back when they came out, mainly do to the lack of features we are all accustomed to in PC games.

Yeah, it's a shame too. I was so hoping to see it crush MW2 so badly that uninstalls of it would occur globally on 3/2/10. But, nevertheless, it's the best new PC game we can hope for in the near future, and my server is preordered. We can all hold on to the small thread of hope that MOH and/or Treyarch's COD 7 will deliver us from console hell. But, as my Dad used to say "if it weren't for change, we'd still be stepping in dinosaur turds".

EA Online primer:

* a user has a master account

* online access to BFBC2 PC is tied to the master account

* a user can create one or more personas (aka "soldier names")

* personas must be unique

-> player A can not impersonate player B, due to the persona creation process

-> player A can however easily create more personas

-> banning on persona is ineffective

-> banning on IP is quite effective

-> banning on master account is very effective

We're looking into it.

• Upvote 19

will there be also a MPI, i hope so^^

Will we see IPs and GUIDs?

It goes without saying that if servers are streaming via PBBans, they will be contributing the usual streamed data to the MPI :)

EA Online primer:

We're looking into it.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Welcome Mikael,

good to see you here on the forums..

thanks for the heads up..

Indian

Yeah, I guess I should be happy that Dice cares about it's customers enough to keep us updated and listen to our input. Thanks for all the info. My BC2 server will be sweet indeed.

EA Online primer:

We're looking into it.

Welcome to the forums Mikael.

Thank you and the DICE team for working hard to ensure not only an awesome game, but a cheat-free one.

EA Online primer:

We're looking into it.

I honestly wish there were more game developers like you guys. You have my heartfelt thanks.

EA Online primer:

We're looking into it.

Welcome Mikael.

Thanks for listening to the community.

EA Online primer:

We're looking into it.

Good to see you here :)

Also, thanks for working with the PBBans team that gives us players a better cheat-free experience :bigtup:

EA Online primer:

We're looking into it.

Nice to see DICE posting here and thanks so much for taking time out to listen to members of the community.

Well done DICE and PBBans. :)