Call of Duty: Black Ops

SuperTaz

Black Ops Launch To Be Activision's Biggest

The launch for Call of Duty: Black Ops is going to be huge.

Really huge.

During Activision's Q2 fiscal earnings call this afternoon, the publisher continuously emphasized how much bigger the marketing budget for this year's title will be compared to last, and highlighted the fact pre-sales continue to outpace Modern Warfare 2 from last year.

"This year's Black Ops will release on more platforms than ever before, and continues to pace ahead of last year's record setting Modern Warfare 2 in terms of per-sales and consumer awareness metrics," said Activision COO Thomas Tippl.

"The game continues to gain momentum, and based on the traction we have already established with our partners around the world, we expect Black Ops will yet again drive Call of Duty to be the entertainment event of the year."

Activision CEO Bobby Kotick also said on the call the publisher is backing Black Ops' launch with its biggest financial investment in the company's 31 year history, adding this year's title isn't just for hardcore gamers.

"This is, across the board, the biggest investment that we've ever made in the launch of a title," Kotick said. "The market opportunity is bigger than it's ever been, the install base of hardware is bigger than it's ever been, and the product has incredibly broad appeal, but it also has a whole host of functions that will be unique to the core consumer."

Kotick also said Black Ops' competition this holiday isn't just other shooters from major publishers, such as Medal of Honor or Halo: Reach, and that Activision hopes the title reaches new audiences.

"There's a lot of competition, not just from games, but from a whole host of other things you can do with your leisure time, and this is something we think has the potential to break through and appeal to a much broader consumer base than ever before," he added.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/111/1110725p1.html
  • Upvote 1

adding this year's title isn't just for hardcore gamers

Activision hopes the title reaches new audiences

the potential to break through and appeal to a much broader consumer base than ever before

Casual gamer springs to mind :unsure:

every time kotick opens his mouth, i get the urge to never buy anything from them ever again

Have not preordered and don't intend to until it is a proven game. They may be making money but it won't be mine for now.

This video contains content from The Australian Broadcasting Corporation, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Watched it earlier but this is what the video now says :scratchchin: Personally though, I'm only interested in the game if [FLOT] shows interest in it, then that means we might consider putting up a sever for it, and right now I'm not seeing much interest. Will be waiting for more battlefield games however.

Have not preordered and don't intend to until it is a proven game. They may be making money but it won't be mine for now.

same here

Watched it earlier but this is what the video now says :scratchchin: Personally though, I'm only interested in the game if [FLOT] shows interest in it, then that means we might consider putting up a sever for it, and right now I'm not seeing much interest. Will be waiting for more battlefield games however.

yes this as well

if my community doesn't go for it, i won't get it anyway

not falling for the BF hype anymore either

Edited by HSMagnet

It "looks" good, but so did BC2...

Any update on core features?

ask me a week after release...or rather ask someone that already bought it and played it

that is what i am going to do ;)

ask me a week after release...or rather ask someone that already bought it and played it

that is what i am going to do ;)

I know your position, I've read it enough by now, lol. :lol: Going to start mistaking you for misnomer, jk.

Was asking if there had been any "official" news on included core features? Number of maps? "Stuff that matters"

Not intrested in fancy "advo videos". I got caught up in the "hype" for BC2. Wont get fooled again though.

I want to know what the game will have. Not intrested in "non-functional eye candy"

Nothing else coming this year that I want so I will most likely pick up CoD BO since it has dedicated servers. I need something new since populated cod4 servers near me are getting harder to find by the day.

0:10 - Remote camera....interesting.

0:15 - LOL at the smiley face sight - Custom sights?

0:17 - Coordinates is a really good idea. "Person at D3!" will probably better than "Person at the Rocket Silo" or something like that.

0:23 - I hope clan tag support and maybe even custom clan tag pic will be in the PC.

0:36 - Although I've seen MANY complaints about the Ballistic knife, I give props for Treyarch for doing some research as (from Google) the Spetsnaz special force actually used it.

1:01-1:04 - How many of you instantly thought of Frontlines: Fuel of War when you saw the rover? I did! :P

1:21-1:29 - If an editor will be possible with demos...I will be utterly speechless in awe.

Hopefully September 1st will be the best day for PC gamers...and not a BASH 123 repeat.

And hopefully this will happen on release day...minus the D-Pad...and the bans...and the rage LOL.

http://twitpic.com/2db2si

(Something I threw up in a few minutes)

• Upvote 3

Instead of n00b tubers, there is going to be a lot of RC bomb spamming all over. If it's not one thing, it's the other.

Just like the snipers in BC2, anything that keeps the idiots busy and off the flags, is fine by me.

Instead of n00b tubers, there is going to be a lot of RC bomb spamming all over. If it's not one thing, it's the other.

I see it as the ultimate camper buster :P

• Upvote 1