Call of Duty: Black Ops

SuperTaz

as quoted on our site:@

As stated on the main page we as a clan will not be supporting CoD Black Ops.

The reasons for this are two fold:

* VAC over PB. As admins we need to keep our servers cheat free and VAC does not support any custom scans such as MD5 and CVAR, let alone PBSS

* Servers can ONLY be rented from one GSP. This fixes price and Quality of Service. Dedicated servers are only available in the US from this provider so moving is out of the question.

Unfortunately the latter point is a massive deal breaker and although they tout it as an improvement over MW2 it is worse than BC2, and we all know how restrictive that was.

So ... f*ck you Treyarch. For all your broken promises you are no better than Infinity Ward. I hope Activision screw you over just before pay day, we were promised and expected better from you. Guess the lesson wasn't learned.

• Upvote 1

It just astounds me that these people simply do not learn. Do they have selective hearing or what? There was so much upset over the use of VAC in MW2, and there was upset as well about having dedi servers that are so restricted. Why did they not just listen?

I just don't play any COD games any more. Starcraft 2, Eve Online and the ArmA series for me :)

still waiting to see what actually goes splat on "drop" :lol:

not looking like the best choices were made

i did unfollow jd_2020....he got me started on twitter because he quit posting on the cod:waw forums

douché

@JD_2020 unfollowing you now. i see that it wasn't IW it is Activision. had high hopes. have a nice life

http://twitter.com/HSMagnet/status/22795874873

i blame kotick

because his face is annoying

*edit*

oh and (Activision+M$)/VAC=:BigB:

Edited by HSMagnet

Well. "Open mouth, insert foot" might work here. Guess there was one other thing hiding in the weeds that could turn me off on this one.

Heres what I am confused about.

*There is an improved server browser on the pc for codblackops

*Matchmaking on the pc is just letting the game pick a server in codblackops

^ (seems like contradictory points to me)

If its a matchmaking system, then I dont see a reason in renting a server. My understanding of matchmaking is that you cant control what server your sent to, when logging into game? If that is correct, there is no motivation for an organized group/clan to rent. The funny thing is, it looks like there will be some sort of r-con admin tools and spectate mode... But if they are not your people (members & pubbers) on "your server" whats the point in admining the server? lol!

Can someone clear this up? The matchmaking side of things.

Guess the one positive side of all this is its not due out till November... We've got plenty of time to get a better idea whats going on w/ the MP.

Maybe a daft question here, I'm out of my depth with the subject but here:

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/layer?topicId=1074014670

The way I see it, is the law not set up to protect consumers from monopolies? It's about fair trade, right? So if an alternative to "Gameservers" wants to throw their hat into the ring, Activision will tell them where to go, this would not be right according to our laws, would it not?

*There is an improved server browser on the pc for codblackops

*Matchmaking on the pc is just letting the game pick a server in codblackops

I assumed they were both separate features, i.e. like a server browser or play now button.

Maybe a daft question here, I'm out of my depth with the subject but here:

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/layer?topicId=1074014670

The way I see it, is the law not set up to protect consumers from monopolies? It's about fair trade, right? So if an alternative to "Gameservers" wants to throw their hat into the ring, Activision will tell them where to go, this would not be right according to our laws, would it not?

As for the GSP monopoly and fair trade - possibly but I'm sure Activision would hide behind lawyers for the duration of the case

us.gif 1. Atlanta, Georgia ico_light_green.pngca.gif 7. Montreal, Canada ico_light_green.pngdk.gif 13. (EU) Denmark ico_light_red.pngus.gif 2. Tampa Bay, Florida ico_light_green.pngus.gif 8. Los Angeles, California ico_light_amber.pngde.gif 14. (EU) Frankfurt, DE ico_light_red.pngus.gif 3. St. Louis, Missouri ico_light_green.pngus.gif 9. San Jose, California ico_light_amber.pngpl.gif 15. (EU) Warsaw, Poland ico_light_red.pngus.gif 4. Chicago, Illinois ico_light_green.pngus.gif 10. Seattle, Washington ico_light_amber.pngru.gif 16. (RU) Moscow, Russia ico_light_red.pngus.gif 5. New York / New Jersey ico_light_green.pnguk.gif 11. (EU) London, UK ico_light_red.pngjp.gif 17. (Asia) Tokyo, Japan ico_light_red.pngus.gif 6. Dallas, Texas ico_light_green.pngnl.gif 12. (EU) Amsterdam, NL ico_light_red.pngau.gif 18. (AU) Sydney, Australia ico_light_red.png

why are all the overseas locations red?

http://gameservers.com/blackops/

I believe green is the best select location recommendation for you.

Orange is further away and not recommended.

Red is very bad.

Does that key work?

ok, i thought someone had said there were no locations outside the states. seems to be a fallacy

i am near atlanta, so that key works

Yea it also looks like you can only run 18 players in ranked servers. No more... no less (not sure why you would want to run less anyways). Think Treyarch must've watched DICE a little too much in screwing up what could've been a good product (not that I liked CoD series anyways).

I predicted it would use VAC and here we are. That's 3 Activision developers that have switched to VAC from PB (IW, Splash Damage and now Treyarch). Guess our future is getting bleak by the day.

As I've said the trusted providers crap is getting old. If M$ did it, people would cry Anti-Trust but it's OK when EA or Activision does it.

I won't be buying this mess for $60. Time for me to find another hobby it seems.

Pfft, will probably emerge that Activision is now a majority share holder of GameServers.

Not sure if its on my end, but when on the order page, the only ranked choice is 18 slots. "One provider, one choice?"

For unranked, I can pick from 10-24 slots. I guess thats why its more expensive to order an unranked server. Customer pays more for the "opportunity" to pick their slot count? nice...

Not sure if its on my end, but when on the order page, the only ranked choice is 18 slots. "One provider, one choice?"

For unranked, I can pick from 10-24 slots. I guess thats why its more expensive to order an unranked server. Customer pays more for the "opportunity" to pick their slot count? nice...

According to Gameservers Staff, it was the developers decision to only let them rent 18 slots. I'm guessing the cheaper price is a pre-order special.

If some of you do decide to go ahead and order one, you oughta click the banner in my sig before ordering :P . It would be appreciated.

Edited by Jaythegreat1

Please forward your Antitrust/Monopoly statements to [email protected]

Good source of information on the Sherman Antitrust Act

http://www.justice.gov/atr/public/divisionmanual/chapter2.pdf

I also believe that this is in violation of the Federal Trade Commission Act but that is only civil whereas the Sherman Antitrust Act would make it a criminal complaint and force the Government's involvement.

The more of you that pass this along to clan members, friends, family, etc. the better the chances that things get looked into.

If I am reading this right, everything is the same as in MW2, except they have a dedicated server you can rent. They obviously still missed the point of a dedicated server. This is what is going to keep happening if the only new games coming out are console ports with a few tweaks to be able to use a keyboard/mouse.