Battlefield 3

MaydaX

Managed VDS and dedicated server customers will also be able to create BF3 servers after the game is released. However, customers will need to prepay a small amount per BF3 player slot they wish to run (much less than the standard rental fee). This is due to a unique requirement of BF3 that does not relate to the resource requirements of the game.

yes, it would be that slot count times the amount per slot, added to your monthly dedicated server fee.

http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5693

is this just nfo or did EA start some bs?

Others are charging it as well. Not sure what it's for.

There is also a BF3 support fee per physical machine. Unfortunately, we have to charge for this but are heavily subsidizing the cost. In order to support BF3 on your server, an additional £18 (incl VAT) will be charged; this fee applies even if you only want to run one BF3 game server instance. Accounts will be updated as and when we complete server migrations. The fee is only applicable from the Official release date.

http://pastebin.com/vetejiQ7

Just sad that the "PC focused game" has no server files with possibly some sort of fee for RSP's while MW3 the console focused game has public server files, no server fees and LAN support. :dunno:

It's simply DICE / EA realising they missing an opportunity to milk more cash out of BC2 by assigning RSP status in lieu of services. Now they want both. Greed which they they will try to justify with some BS excuse about hidden running costs.

I have seen other companies have this type of situation, but, it did not turn out good for them at all. Two companies that tried to milk more money out of people are now out of business.

EA/DICE are shooting themselves in the foot. Whoever is creating these ideas at EA should be fired immediately. That is not how business is done.

Maybe someday Vivendi/Activision will buy out EA. :P

I have seen other companies have this type of situation, but, it did not turn out good for them at all. Two companies that tried to milk more money out of people are now out of business.

EA/DICE are shooting themselves in the foot. Whoever is creating these ideas at EA should be fired immediately. That is not how business is done.

Maybe someday Vivendi/Activision will buy out EA. :P

Cant fix stupid can ya... Whats worse is you can't stop the stupid from continuing to buy this garbage. Sheeple, just damn sheeple.... <_>

Cant fix stupid can ya... Whats worse is you can't stop the stupid from continuing to buy this garbage. Sheeple, just damn sheeple.... dry.gif

Ok. Ill bite. What alternative would you propose? Dated tech of MW3, or a nitch WW2 redo?

Compare this issue to the current mainstream alternative, CoD-Blops. Those that paid for the game and the following mappacks are up to $120 w/ another dlc on the way. Or - those playing WOW, how much they got tied up into their entertainment?

Think 'sheelple' is a bit harsh... Exploited? perhaps - but what else is new. Might save "sheeple" for the next time you pull up to the pump to fill up your car. Or a week later when you do it again. :)

For me, I'll look at it in the "half full" perspective. Its not ideal - nor "the way things were". At least its not an exclusive - one provider contract, as blops was. There is freedom of choice here, and competition between providers .Which in the end will be good for everyone.The additional cost to me is negligible. If were going to cry about this server side change, lets save a few tears for those gamers that must upgrade from XP to play.

butt

at least they aren't to the point of trying to out kotick, bobby kotick

my little pony wars would get more interest from me that a franchise that is just out to milk my pockets. be it cod or bf

and new frostbite tech is still apt to be just as buggy as it ever was

from what i have seen the increase isnt an ea thing, its microsoft.

bf3 requires the 2008 server operating system, which microsoft charge each company a monthly fee for each server running it.

Technically it's still an EA thing for requiring Windows 2008 to begin with. Guess even the server needs the DirectX 10/11 components only found in Windows 2008 Server.

ea for needing it, but microsoft for the monthly charge instead of the outright sell like all the other operating systems.

Wasn't a smart move to require one server OS wither way. Glad I don't have to buy licenses for it. Ouch

Windows Server 2008 R.2 Standard Includes Service Pack 1 64-Bit English

List Price: $1,646.39

Price: $968.47

You Save: $677.92

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Software-Windows-Standard-Service/dp/B0050PJQIC/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1315599075&sr=8-13Buy 2 just in case

Wasn't a smart move to require one server OS wither way. Glad I don't have to buy licenses for it. Ouch

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Software-Windows-Standard-Service/dp/B0050PJQIC/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1315599075&sr=8-13Buy 2 just in case

Thank god for Linux distributions :)

Shame that only Win2008 is supported with BF3...

Edited by Twiebie

I don't think this had anything to do with windows 2008.. Check out the dedicated servers from branzone.com for BF3.. https://secure.branzone.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=2

You see how it lists how many BF3 slots you can run...

now the regular dedicated servers they sell

http://www.branzone.com/services/dedicated/dallas.php

I don't think this had anything to do with windows 2008.. Check out the dedicated servers from branzone.com for BF3.. https://secure.branzone.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=2

You see how it lists how many BF3 slots you can run...

now the regular dedicated servers they sell

http://www.branzone.com/services/dedicated/dallas.php

those links are generic

no specifics on bf3 or anything else that i see

those links are generic

no specifics on bf3 or anything else that i see

it says the following under options

128 BF3 slots

192 BF3 slots

256 BF3 slots

*edit*

all the bf3 ones have e3-1240 processors

it says the following under options

128 BF3 slots

192 BF3 slots

256 BF3 slots

E8500 2GB DDR2 250GB 2500GB $119.00

X3450 8GB DDR3 250GB 2500GB $139.00

Dual E5520 8GB DDR3 250GB 2500GB $239.00

that is what the other one says

what price points/stats for the bf3 ones?

that is what the other one says

what price points/stats for the bf3 ones?

E3-1240 / 4GB RAM / 128 BF3 SLOTS: $200.00 USD

E3-1240 / 8GB RAM / 192 BF3 SLOTS: $250.00 USD

E3-1240 / 16GB RAM / 256 BF3 SLOTS: $300.00 USD

^

Probably the beta, if I were to guess. Hope so anyway. Running out of time for a "beta/trial". Almost a month till launch... :shock:

They better get on the ball, as to not have a repeat of the post launch Bc2 issues. Need to see how those 64 slot servers can handle the load.

butt