[COD MW2] No dedicated servers or PB

HSMagnet

ViperVenom: What was the inspiration behind the AC-130, Throwing knives, 3rd person and such? Did looking at some of the Cod4 Mods influence any of these?

Ryan-IW: The inspiration behind so many inclusions to MW2's MP was basically the fun factor. We'll look at something we did in the past and say "Wouldn't it be fun if we *insert blank here*". With MW2 we had the chance to do a lot of just that. We implemented things that at first were very experimental and unbalanced, but through time and hours and weeks of testing and balancing, we came out with something amazing.

I find it funny that they take credit for all tehse thiings that modders had made playable for previous versions. Not even so much as a thanks for the ideas.

Edited by injuneer

Latest news, multiplayer games won't be larger than 9v9.

PC gamers may find one more reason to grumble about Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, as Infinity Ward has confirmed that the maximum number of players in the game's multiplayer mode has taken a hit from 32 to 18.

A max of 18 players has been the norm for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of previous entries Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Call of Duty: World At War, but it's considerably less than previous iterations for the PC. Infinity Ward's Mackey McCandlish and Vince Zampella confirmed that 9 versus 9 multiplayer battles would be the max going forward to the chagrin of a few PC gamers already feeling burned by the switch from dedicated servers to the IW.net service.

McCandlish explained that an 18-player cap was related to "the number of players we focused on when we were balancing map size, perks, classes, challenges, etc."

That lead to one fan venting in the Infinity Ward developer Q&A session hosted by Best Buy's Geek Squad. "Please explain how a 9v9 match is a multiplayer experience? I'd have more fun serving lunch at a local nursing home," complained a user named "Axen."

Man, there's such a fine line between Modern Warfare 2 team deathmatch and food service for invalids.

http://kotaku.com/5397149/modern-warfare-2...r-capped-at-9v9

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Gaming/Call-o...ript/td-p/67692

pcmw2.png

LMAO!! thats awesome Maydax..Hope you dont mind, that pic is on our home page now!

And yep..canceled my pre order

Edited by .:EvL:.RedKilla

On an earnings call today, Activision president Mike Griffith said his company is "not overly concerned" about gamer complaints regarding the lack of support for dedicated servers in the PC version of Modern Warfare 2.

One of the problems with our PC SKUs in the past is that it has not been as friendly a consumer experience in terms of matchmaking and online play as the consoles have allowed it to be. Our solution here improves that consumer experience overall by a significant margin. And so we we think that the benefits we will see are going to far outweigh any negatives that seem to be surfacing.

http://kotaku.com/5398255/activision-impro...2-pc-complaints

• Upvote 1

I'd have to guess they have to wait till release-day to see the numbers fall in the pc-end of things. My server is renamed to BoycottMW2 with clan-tags afterwards. Server banners running as well, to tell why. I have a thread on my forums, well advertised, and have tailored the search words to modern and warfare, etc to make sure it gets hit. Seeing about a half-dozen new visitors an hour just on that. Suggest everyone else does the same. My threads regarding it are public, no registration required, unless they want to post. ;)

Let google do the work for ya! :P

RW

boycott_mw2.png

Was going to buy it, but not now. By the way...i threw together a little boycott sig. Feel free to pass it around :)

Hope you don't mind, I made your image into a .VTF file for my TF2 and L4d spray. I had some people asking for it, so I've have been passing it around. I gave you credit in the readme for the original image. Here is the file if anybody is interested in using the spray:

Boycott MW2 Spray

Here what it looks like in game:

BANDIT Spray Pic

Well, I stopped playing the cod series at MW and only play WAW for the zombies mode. i did't even pre-order MW2 to start with because I knew the direction they were taking the game down with more perks and more kill streaks etc.

Its funny really, they used to port the PC game to the console, now they are porting the console game to the PC. Theres no real question about it, the COD series has become mainstream and has descended into a console shoot em up. Not only has it been dumbed down by a long list of 'balance' changes (lean, kill streaks, player reductions, FOV) but the level of customisability has been cut to none. There are no admin tools (pb is great admin tool), there are no mods(custom maps) and there is not even a decent place to play anymore (100 ping anyone? good luck)

Console players are fine with it because they are used to it. They are used to the narrow FOV and no leaning. They are used to the poor selection of maps and no updates. TF2 which is a game I play often now, was released for the PC and XBox, on the PC it now has 19 official maps, 18 new weapons and 4 new gametypes, all released free of change for the PC. It was not soo long ago that the XboX players were still playing on the same 5 yes thats FIVE original maps with none of the upgrades the PC had, and that was just the offcial content, not including all the custom content. Of course when the update did finally come out, not only did they not get the full update, microsoft made them pay for it.

The point is, they are used to this very low and poor level of service, they pay a couple of hundred pounds for there xbox and they get what they pay for. When we pay sometimes 1000s of

• Upvote 1

My Clan and I have canceled our pre-orders and also boycotting this game.

Business seems to forget which group of people put them on the map!!!!!!

I wonder how video card manufacturers feel when they realise that companies like this are screwing them. Have no illusions, ATI and nVidia love new games like this that make people want to upgrade so they can play them.. cept... OOPS!

bungled.gif

I have been running this task via pbsv.cfg on my Call of Duty server:

pb_sv_task 10 600 say ^1BOYCOTT Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2! - ^7No Dedicated Servers, No PunkBuster, No Mods & Forced Matches ^1= A BAD MULTIPLAYER EXPERIENCE!

It puts out this message from the console every 600 seconds (10 minutes)

console: BOYCOTT Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2! - No dedicated servers, No PunkBuster, No Mods & Forced Matches = A BAD MULTIPLAYER EXPERIENCE!

• Upvote 2

Hehe. I need to find one of those. But unfortunately, if I take a permanent marker, I may be accused of vandalism if I were to write all sorts of... "comments" on it.

I'm personally tempted to make a stack of "do not buy modern warfare 2" fliers and hand 'em out to people at Best Buy on Wednesday. Either that or go inside and put them next to every place where a MW2 shelf is at. I wonder which will get the message across better.